I did something stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've always heard that putting any sort of oil or grease on a burn is a bad thing, unless it is antibiotic. people used to put butter on burns :shock:
i wonder if lavender has antibiotic properties?

BT in my fist aid classes we were always told to NEVER put butter or other fats on a burn. It keeps the burn from being able to cool properly. It actually holds the heat in.

Ah, but most essential oils are not oily, the name is a misnomer - most of the lighter ones (i.e. lavender) will evaporate without leaving any greasy/oily trace behind. The chemical composition of Lavender (if you are using a high-altitude grown Lavendula angustifolia) will be around 40% linalyl acetate (along with other esters) that have been show to have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Lavender also contains various alcohols (antiseptic, antiviral), and terpenes (anti-inflammatory, bactericidal). Many years ago, we had a big tube-train station disaster in England, called the Kings Cross fire, where many people got horribly burned. Many of the victims were actually treated with Lavender oil as a first aid measure. I agree that putting butter and fat on burns is a very bad idea - first step is irrigation with cold water for around 10 minutes, but then you can apply the Lavender oil :) The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for would be chemical burns, as there may be some reaction with any chemical residue left on the skin.

Best wishes, Paint.

Well,
I didn't burn myself, but I did break my favorite boning knife, (just an old Chicago cuttlery piece) while trying to cut through a piece of parmeseano-reggiano. I can't figure out how it broke, I was applying pressure straight down on the cheese and the blade snapped 1/4 inch before it went into the handle! Wow, talk about too close for comfort. It was close to twenty years old, but I really did like it.
John.

Goodweed of the North said:
I don't think there's a cook out there who doesn't have a scar or two from something hot, or a sharp knife gone astray.

Yup, I've got lots of scars. Everybody I've worked with likes to show off their "battle scars". It's almost a right of passage.

One thing I've discovered (after burning myself pretty good), is that the sterile water-gel bandages work GREAT on a burn.

Aloe works great to, and not just for burns. I think anything that's a skin irrant can be lessened by the sap of an Aloe plant.

my non-cooking related moment of stupidity:
that movie, 'Girl, Interrupted' was coming on in like a minute a couple of yrs. ago. so i didn't want to miss the beginning. i needed a box of kleenex, so i flew down to the basement as fast as i could to get a box of 'em and jumped from like 8 steps up off the side of the stairs down onto the concrete floor in an effort to save time.
34.gif

my jaw just fell open and i kept gasping through these 'i'm in LOTS of pain' noises. i dragged myself up 2 flights of stairs with the handrails and through the hallways and proceeded to drink lots of wine.
my heel was very broken. it went undiagnosed for weeks. (can you say, 'potential lawsuit?') i insisted it was broken. a bone scan and 3
doctors later, this was confirmed. on went a cast.
next stupid thing i did was get tired of this cast digging into my shin like a
month later, so i had my boyfriend and brother hacksaw it off.
the second i put weight on it, i almost fell. it was like my bones shifted and i could feel it.
on went another cast (the dr. was none too pleased w/ me, to say the least). at least this time it was about an inch below my kneecap instead of right up to it, so my shin didn't dig into it as much.

Can you top this for stupidity?
While worrying about my teenage son fighting a fire in Northern Cal. many years ago, I grew impatient (only excuse I can think of) and forced the release of the lid on a pressure cooker very full of Vegetable Soup. Needless to say a trip to the ER at the A.F. Base (and every day after that for two weeks) I had 1st, 2nd, and third degree burns on my tummy and both upper thighs. Very painful..and dumb.
After things were better I got to wash the soup off the ceiling..

Flamable liquid on a pants leg caught and gave deep 2nd degree burns on my left shin. Left scarring and hurt like crazy for many months. But that was an accident and not something stupid I had done. For that subject, twice, I stepped off of a roof, two stories above the attached and slanted garage roof. I was watching what I was painting instead of where I was going. Judo falling techniques made it no more than embarising, but it was very stupid. And then there's the time that I drove off of a 30 foot cliff on a dirt-bike... (true story but can wait for another time) :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow, I feel like I am FINALLY a member of the popular crowd! All of my favorite members of the group have posted a reply to this post! I like to consider myself an honorary member of the Daily Offensive Refractory Kelvin Society... otherwise known as DORKS! Our motto, "A blazing hot pan handle, pot or sheet pan is never out of reach; and, we are never out of touch! From one carbon fingered DORK to another...keep the stories coming. I haven't felt this much camaraderie since the advent of EVOO as a GOOD thing! Warm regards, Lori

Back
Top Bottom