I did something stupid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I made a delicious dinner. It was a stuffed flank steak. Stuffed with tomatoes and cheese (I will post it at some point). It calls for searing the steak on the stovetop then finishing in the oven. Well I pulled the pan out of the oven very carefully with the oven mitt. Then I noticed the handle was sticking out too far so I grabbed it to move WITHOUT an oven mitt. DOH!!!. Thankfully I got it under cold water very quickly and then covered it in aloe. I have a very nice burn mark on my palm that looks exactly like an All Clad handle.

explotar2jr.gif

GB:

Thanks! I'm NOT the only one who does things like that.

Some day I'll tell you what my SO calls me when I do something stupid.

Andy M.

GB said:
I made a delicious dinner. It was a stuffed flank steak. Stuffed with tomatoes and cheese (I will post it at some point). It calls for searing the steak on the stovetop then finishing in the oven. Well I pulled the pan out of the oven very carefully with the oven mitt. Then I noticed the handle was sticking out too far so I grabbed it to move WITHOUT an oven mitt. DOH!!!. Thankfully I got it under cold water very quickly and then covered it in aloe. I have a very nice burn mark on my palm that looks exactly like an All Clad handle.

explotar2jr.gif

OUCH!

I can relate, and do sympathize. For me, it was the hot barrel of a hot-glue gun that seared my palm diagonally from end to end. Big blister, lots of pain, long time ago.

I don't think there's a cook out there who doesn't have a scar or two from something hot, or a sharp knife gone astray.

Hope it heals quickly for you, and doesn't affect your day-job.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

thumpershere2 said:
Big time OUCH!!! I guess we have all done something like that at one time. So how did the Steak turn out, sounds really good. :D

The steak turned out great. It was served with a chimichurri sauce. I will definitely be making it again, but I will pay more attention next time :) when I get some time, hopefully today, I will post it in the beef section of the board. Look for a post titled Stuffed Flank Steak.

Well today the burn is hardly bothering me. I think I got it under the the cold water fast enough to stop the damage. Other than visual damage, I can not really tell I got burned. We had a discussion on another food board once (gasp) about what to do for a burn. I stand by my idea that getting the burn under cold running water as fast as you can is the most important thing you can do. Every second counts. I think I got this one under water in less than 2 seconds and that is what I think kept this from being very painful. I also put aloe on the burn a few times. The combination of those two things really helps I think.

Hey GB, here's my moment of dazzling stupidity (not cooking related.) I have a wood burning stove that had a fire blazing all day long. There's not much room between the stove and a wall and I was shimmying along beside it to retrieve a fallen poker and lost my balance. Stuck my hand out to steady myself and placed it right on the stove. I actually had to push myself off of the stove so I wouldn't fall on it. I'd never heard flesh sizzle before! My sister called me Balloon Hand for a few weeks.

:oops: Not related to cooking but something stupid. I thought I turned off the curling iron and I grabbed the hot end to put it away. Forgive me Lord for the words that came out of my mouth.

Last summer I made a blueberry-nectarine buckle. I was wearing shorts, and as I pulled the dish out of the oven, I slipped/the dish slipped, and I ended up dropping the whole darn thing down the front of me. Imagine 350F brown sugar all over the fronts of your bare legs! There was buckle all over the floor, too. I had had a horrible day already and was home alone so once I got the burning sugar off of me I sat down on the floor and ate buckle and cried! :oops:

I often use my cast iron pans for roasting things in, and I'm fine at remembering to wear oven gloves on BOTH hands to get them out of the oven, then I transfer them carefully onto trivets on my counter.....but TWICE in the past month I've managed to burn my tummy on the handles when leaning over them to dish out the food LOL!

Paint.

OOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH GB, I feel for you, as I have done the same thing. From experience, GB, bet you will not be doing that again too soon. I never have. Of course I blamed the pot by hurling it across the room and into a wall. Then I was expletive deleting all the while I was cleaning up the mess with one hand in a bowl of ice water. YUK

:LOL: Our group would give the burn unit at the hospital a run for their money. Aloe anyone?

Ouch...........I hope you heal quickly. I can't tell you the number of times I tell someone not to touch something because I just got it out of the oven and its hot and stupid me is the one who winds up touching it :oops:

I know that hurts GB - cold water all night long - you will feel so much better in the morning - just keep changing it - a few ice cubes but not many.

I put an oven thermometer in to check the calibration - just picked it up to take it out of the oven :shock:

Did you know that modern aromatherapy was re-discovered because a French chemist & perfumier, Rene Gattefosse, burnt his hand badly one day and plunged it into the nearest cold liquid he could find - a vat of Lavender Oil. Rene was amazed that the pain went away from the burn very quickly and that it healed within a few days with no scarring and no infection. Rene was inspired to go on to do much scientific research on the medicinal properties of essential oils..... anyway, I always keep a bottle of lavender oil in my first aid kit, and it's great for burns - it really works :)

Paint.

Paint, that's really interesting! I'll have to look for lavender oil and buy stock in it!

Elf, I've done the same thing with an oven thermometer--at least twice! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom