I helped cook Burgoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
Arenzville, Illinois is the home of the worlds best burgoo, it says so right on the sign. Ive wanted to help cook it for years, this year I did. I was on onion duty...I guess I only helped with prep. I peeled and chopped 125 pounds of onions in about 3 hours. Hopefully I'll be back next year.
Arenzville, IL - Home of the World's Best Burgoo
I'm the guy with the apron with the woodpecker smoking a cigar.

That's great. I've only heard about it and read one of the old, possibly original recipes. The scale of that cookout really awed me. :)

Sid

nu uh! lol. My town (Lawrenceburg, KY) does a Burgoo festival every year. Though I can honestly say I've lived here since I was 12 yrs old (I'm now considerably older) and never have I had burgoo. hehe. That old saying whatever doesn't make it across the road goes into the pot kinda puts one off. Especially when your afraid these hillbillys here will actually do it! eek. lol

Thats a lot of onions.
There was maybe 15 people doing onions, too. Look at the photos and see the kettles. I'm guessing about 100 gallons each, and there are 15 of them. They each make several batches. Folks come from all over, and many buy some to freeze. I have two gallons right now. They always run out. Thats alot of burgoo.

I just made onion soup the other day, used about 1 1/2 pounds of onions, I couldnt imagine tackling that many, but i wish i had the opportunity to chop that many onions. Every time i go to the farmers market, i see those 50 Lb bags of onions, and I always wished I had reason to buy that many ( same with the potatoes and corn)

I just made onion soup the other day, used about 1 1/2 pounds of onions, I couldnt imagine tackling that many, but i wish i had the opportunity to chop that many onions. Every time i go to the farmers market, i see those 50 Lb bags of onions, and I always wished I had reason to buy that many ( same with the potatoes and corn)
I always love when the Shriners have Vidalia onions in 10 pound bags. I usually buy 2, but end up giving a bunch away.

Back
Top Bottom