I made homemade lard!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashwinsmommy

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,

I took my first shot at rendering leaf lard and man it is awesome - I rendered 3 lbs of leaf lard from a company out here called Thundering Hooves and I got a full quart from it.

I already used some of the fat when cooking a turkey breast tonight - I put it over and around the sweet tates in the pan and man oh man was it delish..

I am also going to try my hand at doing some pastries and pie crusts, but anyone have other ideas?

Tara

Very nice, congratulations! I cook with regular lard fairly often, but haven't had a chance to try leaf lard yet. I've heard it's the best. So what are the differences so far? Is it better flavor? Does it behave differently when cooking with it (higher smoke point perhaps?)?

The first ideas I think of besides the stuff you mentioned are biscuits and tortillas. I'd also want to try it out in some bread.

I buy 50 lbs of lard at a time from Columbus Foods in Chicago. I use it to make homemade soap. I haven't been able to find a place to buy leaf lard cheaper than having it already processed for around 50 cents a lb plus shipping. Even my local butcher's charge more per pound.

Back
Top Bottom