I need advice, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My husband and I go out for lunch, and we have a popular mom and pop Mexican restaurant in our town. My husband wants to go, and I think that's great, but I do not like Mexican food, except for Margaritas and guacamole.
I do like re-fried beans, the cheeses, etc...I just hate getting a plate with little piles of mush that all look alike.

So, here's my question...what could I order that I might possibly like?

Do they have quesadillas? These are tortillas that are filled with a meat (beef, chicken or pork usually) and cheese. You can get bean ones too, but you usually have a choice. They are sort of like a Mexican grilled cheese sandwich and are very good.

I'am also not a fan of Mexican foods. However i do like Mexican chicken soup. And the last time I went to M. place I odered yellow fin tuna that was superb.

What about a taco salad? Fajitas wouldn't be full of sauces and "mush." You can often order steak, and if you don't want sauces on it, you could ask. I love Mexican food, but I could just eat tortilla chips, salsa, and guacamole and be perfectly happy!

:)Barbara

Yeah, Barbara, I was thinking the salad as well. You can also ask things a la carte so you don't get all of the condiments all over your plate. Depends on what kind of a restaurant it is.

This is kinda hard to answer because all Mexican places in my experience (I grew up in LA so trust me I have had TONS) are all different in how they do their toppings and sides....some places go over board in all the " mushy stuff" and some places give just enough to compliment the dish.
A favorite of mine is a dish called Flautas....they are rolled tocos that most often have chicken or beef inside then are deep fried to make the shell crispy....but it is usually very light in flavor.

Some other favorites of mine are....carnitas (tender pork)
chicken quesadilla, Carne asada tacos

Oh Constance (and many others, including myself before I moved here), Mexican cooking is not all tortillas and beans. If this is an authentic Mexican restaurant, look for items like Caldo de Pollo (chicken stew) or anything with mole. We had lunch today in a little village called Valle de Banderas, at a "fonda" (little Mom and Pop retaurant) and had the most wonderful chicken, served with rice, whole beans, homemade tortillas and a huge piece of fresh panela cheese. Oh, it was so good, and for four of us, it was less than $10 USD. Hope you can find something you enjoy!

Connie,
chicken milanese is fantastic it will come with the beans and ice if ordered as a torta (sandwich)
it is on a lovely bun with guacamole and limes, I love nachos without jalapenos or meat but give me extra cheese, a good chicken soup with veggies and crushed tortilla chips,,I love to take the beans, wrap them in a nice warm tortilla slather on some guac yummy
kadesma:)

Most places around here have pinto or black beans that have not been blended and refried. When I'm at a Mexican restaurant, I usually get that with some corn chips and salsa, or get a side of tortillas to go with.

Sometimes we order a selection of starters between the two of us, (maybe 6-8) this way you get a good range of little dishes to try, and there's enough for lunch. Can't do this for evening meal, but it's a good idea for Mexican or Indian at midday.

Back
Top Bottom