I need quick easy comfort food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all, I was sick as a dog all night, I have just woken up, showered and it's cold and I'm a little hungry. I've gotta make it myself so please share your favorite comfort food recipe with me. Or I'm going to poach some chicken in soy, Chinese rice wine, garlic n ginger, a pinch if coriander seeds. With a bit of steamed rice. I'm going to have a piece of toast and Vegemite now for some energy first.

Greek lemon soup. Take your chicken broth, add rice, carrots, a bit of garlic, some green onion tops. When it is hot, temper 3-5 eggs, the juice of 2-3 lemons. Add that back into your soup. Thicken with some cornstarch. My ultimate comfort food when I'm sick. Sometimes I add curry to the chicken stock, sometimes not. Feel better.

CWS4322 said:
Greek lemon soup. Take your chicken broth, add rice, carrots, a bit of garlic, some green onion tops. When it is hot, temper 3-5 eggs, the juice of 2-3 lemons. Add that back into your soup. Thicken with some cornstarch. My ultimate comfort food when I'm sick. Sometimes I add curry to the chicken stock, sometimes not. Feel better.

Thank you. How are your girls settling in? I love your stories, I can't wait till we get our chooks.

We are discussing turning a small garden shed into our pen, with a snake and fox proof enclosure, or a smaller A Frame with a nesting box which can be moved around our block. I'm hoping to free range them during the day and lock up at night.

I smiled when I saw your post. It reminded me of the song by Men at Work, I come from a land down under, " he smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich".

I would have some hot rice with milk and then sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. I also like an eggnog when I am not feeling well.

1 cup milk
1 large egg
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
grated nutmeg

Whirl in a blender and add a shot of booze if you like. If you are concerned with eating raw eggs you might want to pass on this one.

I put my faith in healthy chickens and the shot of booze! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hope you feel better!

Thank you. How are your girls settling in? I love your stories, I can't wait till we get our chooks.

We are discussing turning a small garden shed into our pen, with a snake and fox proof enclosure, or a smaller A Frame with a nesting box which can be moved around our block. I'm hoping to free range them during the day and lock up at night.
The shed should be fine--have you looked at the plans for the moveable coop/tiller? I don't have that because I didn't need that--I just target feed where I want the girls to till. However, if you are concerned about predators during the day, a safe enclosure (top and bottom wired with 1/2 inch or smaller hardware cloth--not chicken wire) is the way to go.

Thanks for your well wishes. I put chicken thighs, soy, Chinese rice wine, water, lotsa ginger, shallots, garlic and a couple of warming spices like cinnamon and coriander seeds into the pressure cooker for 30 minutes under steam. Steamed rice in rice cooker using broth from the chicken and some fresh Tumeric for color added a bit of chopped salty fish. I added some cubed tofu to the chicken. It was very yummy and comforting food. Warming and gentle on my tummy. I read your posts after I'd eaten. Rice pudding sounds great, or tapioca Yumm.

I love Vegemite sandwiches or toast it is an Aussie favourite. And I also live the men at work, down under song.

CWS - I want a moveable coop so I can target tiller, also because I am thinking of turning the little shed into a smoke house.

Ulterior motive I know.

I think the girls would be fine during the day here, but at night the snakes and foxes are our biggest problem. We have been advised to fully enclose their lockup using a very fine square mesh, not chicken wire.

I love toast or any hot bread with a little butter and vegemite. Yummy.

I'm making some chicken and veggie gravy over mashed potatoes later today...

Thanks for your well wishes. I put chicken thighs, soy, Chinese rice wine, water, lotsa ginger, shallots, garlic and a couple of warming spices like cinnamon and coriander seeds into the pressure cooker for 30 minutes under steam. Steamed rice in rice cooker using broth from the chicken and some fresh Tumeric for color added a bit of chopped salty fish. I added some cubed tofu to the chicken. It was very yummy and comforting food. Warming and gentle on my tummy. I read your posts after I'd eaten. Rice pudding sounds great, or tapioca Yumm.

I love Vegemite sandwiches or toast it is an Aussie favourite. And I also live the men at work, down under song.

CWS - I want a moveable coop so I can target tiller, also because I am thinking of turning the little shed into a smoke house.

Ulterior motive I know.

I think the girls would be fine during the day here, but at night the snakes and foxes are our biggest problem. We have been advised to fully enclose their lockup using a very fine square mesh, not chicken wire.
The $ you spend to make the lockup secure, is well worth it. I would hate to go out in the morning and find my chickens had had their heads ripped off. Top and bottom, access so they have a place to run if they think there is a threat. My girls are out during the day free-ranging on the lawn, but if I hear that sound that says danger, I'm out there with them. And, they have several places to hide.

Last edited:
Hi all, I was sick as a dog all night, I have just woken up, showered and it's cold and I'm a little hungry. I've gotta make it myself so please share your favorite comfort food recipe with me. Or I'm going to poach some chicken in soy, Chinese rice wine, garlic n ginger, a pinch if coriander seeds. With a bit of steamed rice. I'm going to have a piece of toast and Vegemite now for some energy first.
You've reminded me of my long time cure-all: Wor Wonton Soup! AKA "Chinese Chicken Soup." I used to always get that whenever I felt out of sorts. Sadly I moved away from the Thai restaurant I used to get this at, take out.

It's the Australian version of Marmite.

Vegemite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But what is that in 'Merican?

Back
Top Bottom