"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I let my cucumber plants go without any stakes or cages. They just sort of crawl across the dirt. Works for me

Yes there really is a huge satisfaction in seeing food come about by what you did with your own hands. It really is a great feeling!
Ok....then their doing what their suppose to be doing. I think I'll go check out the garden center today and see what else inspires me to plant in the area where those carrots/lettuces/radishes were. I need to pick up some paint anyway for the kitchen.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #22
Master Chef

A sprinkling of blood meal will help keep the critters out of your garden...just remember to re-apply after a rain.
I've tried doing cucumbers in cages, and I find that they do much better on the ground. cucumber vines are very sensitive, and really don't like to be messed with. I used to pick cucumbers barefoot, so I wouldn't step on the vines.
My MIL was always worried that I'd step on a snake, but I've found that most of the snakes we have around here would rather slither away than bite. Really, all I've run across in the garden are turtles and big fat toads.
Now, a bit south of here, where there are a lot of rocky hillsides and bluffs, one must watch out for the copperheads. They are quite aggresive.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I too wish everyone could have a garden, or at least be able to buy from a farmers market or nice produce store. I just took stock of my garden and here's whats there; 12 broccoli plants that look like they will head all at once, 12 celerys that are raided daily (by me), 2 80 foot rows of carrots that came up spotty, 2 rows of onions, 8 parsley plants, 8 green peppers, 6 basils, 30 kale, 40 feet of bush beans for fresh eating, 6 sweet potato plants, 2 plantings of spinach, the older has hugh leaves for soups and au gratin, smaller is almost salad size, more carrots cause hubby was worried not enough came up with the first planting, 3 80 foot rows of garlic and potatoes, just dug up one potato plant and weighed the produce, a whopping 8 ounces, that's pitiful, 33 tomato plants that survived the May 21, 22 killing frost, 4 80 foot rows of sweet corn and 34 hills of winter squash; butternut and long island cheese. The bulk of the winter squash is for the dairy goats when they are pregnant in the winter, I like to feed them something fresh daily when the kids are in utero. Back to the May killing frost, I had to decide whether to cover the potatoes or the tomatoes, did not have enough bed clothes for both. Since the potatoes had been in the ground two months and I would have great difficulty finding seed potatoes in late May, I covered the entire potato patch, no small feat. But it saved them, to do what?? One plant produces 8 ounces of potatoes? Also in the garden is the asparagus bed which is no longer producing. I do not grow cukes or eggplant because of bug problems with both those vegetables. Also am picking raspberries every morning now!! And the herb garden houses the horseradish and my new hazelnut/filbert bushes. And all is sprinkled with zinnias. Whew.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #24
Master Chef

Being from Iowa ....

I tired to grow corn a few years back, but they came out looking like I'd grown them next to a nuclear reactor or something. Some of the kernals were as big as my thumbnail, while others were as small as baby corn -- and this was onthe same cob.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #25
Head Chef

Jennyema, that means your corn did not pollinate well. Corn is pollinated by the wind. If you are only planting a small amount, do not plant it in a single long row, because the pollen will all blow away.

Instead, plant a block of corn--4 or 5 short rows.

Try again--nothing like sweet corn right out of the garden. Garrison Keillor says it is better than sex.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
...Garrison Keillor says it is better than sex.
He's been dating the wrong women!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM   #27
Master Chef

Sparrow -- I think you are exactly right!

I dont have a lot of room though ...

Since it needs to pollinate, what is the samllest number of plants i could put it and have them be normal?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #28
Executive Chef

jennyema,

I'm guessing 16 cron plants might be the minimum you sould plant, planted 4 plants by four...

xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx like that, for proper wind pollination. Good luck and I hope you try it. We give a lot of our sweet corn to friends. It has been a challange for us to grow a lot of corn, crows being our main problem. We use a product called flash tape, it is a ribbon of silver and red aluminim type foil. It makes you nauseaus to look at it, and it does keep the crows from devouring the seeds. ANd before we cut down a tree near the garden, I saw a racoon scamper up the tree, trot out the limb and drop into the garden for a corn feast.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:09 AM   #29
Master Chef

[quote=Constance]A sprinkling of blood meal will help keep the critters out of your garden...just remember to re-apply after a rain.

Ok.....what the heck is blood meal? Sounds disgusting Is the smell revolting that I won't want to go near the garden?

I ended up picking up an eggplant and jalapeno plant today. Nothing else caught my eye but where I went they didn't have a huge selection left. I'd still like to find a cilantro plant though.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #30
Master Chef

How's the garden growing GB? I def. should of made mine bigger. My tomato plants are monsters. I've already had 2 cherry tomatoes and their soooooo good. My other tomato plants (slicing tomatoes and roma tomatoes) should be ripe in another week or so. I've already had 2 large cucumbers. This last one grew like 4 to 5 inches in just a weeks time. My bell peppers are coming around. My jalapenos aren't doing so well as the tomato plants are really taking over. But all in all for my first gardening attempt I'm very happy.

My herb garden is doing amazing! My basil had doubled in size in just the last week. I really need to get out there this week and harvest some of the herbs and hang them to dry.