I Planted My Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now thats a garden Beth!!! That would be most of my back yard :LOL: .

I ended up pulling up my 3 Roma tomato plants yesterday. I didn't care for the flavor of them and I really needed the room to let my regular tomatoes and bell peppers expand.

As a first time gardener......I really learnt a lot of things not to do next year. Maybe after a few years I'll be as experienced as most of you.

Beth,

That's beautiful!! I have about 1/100th the space.:(

Please let me VENT!!

In May, I bought 2 small 6 packs of jalapeño pepper plants in addition to habs, tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff from Mahoney's in Winchester. That's where I usually get my plants.

WELL ... the jalapeños are up and they are not jalapeño but rather they are cubanelle peppers!! :angry: :( GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! Now I have no jalapeños!

Also, 2 basil plants that I bought from them died, as did a rosemary plant (how do you kill rosemary??)

rickell said:
what is in between the rows? does this keep the weeds down?

That's hay between the rows. There are several reasons we put hay in the garden, but the most important reason is for drought control. We have gardened at this site since 1984 and starting in 1987, we have experienced 3 different years of drought and many years of insufficient rainfall to sustain a garden. So we garden to fight droughts, putting down a heavy layer of hay after a good rainfall to trap in the moisture. The hay does also minimize weeds sprouting and the other main reason is that we have surplus hay from our efforts to make hay for the goats.

We Beat the Animals!!

This weekend we froze about 42 pounds of cut corn:cool: . And had not one bit of crow or coon damage to the corn. The crow population was diminished greatly this year, I had only one or two scout crows cruising around, and I was able to station myself in the garden when they were in the neighboorhood, making unkind gestures toward them. And the electric fence, once again, keep the raccoons out.

The drought is starting to affect the winter squash, the recently set fruits are really shriveled. Must do more rain dances.........

plantin' spinach today

the recent soup thread got me thinking of all the soups I make and I fondly remembered my cream of spinach soup I make in early summer. Then I thought it could be time to plant the usually unsuccessful planting of spinach. It has been very very very very dry at my farm. I have instituted our highest level of water conservation measures, am off to the laundromat today, and it is touch and go whether we will have to start hauling water for the household. Of course it is canning season which adds to the stress. The last three days it has been cloudy, had a total of 4/10ths of one inch of rain:(, but will rake out where the onions were and plant a bit of spinach. Might be time to plant turnips? if a person liked turnips, which would not be me.:-p

It is past time to plant turnips, so you are safe. I don't like them either.

My fall spinach and lettuce are up--I watered after I planted, and then we had a whole inch of rain!! First real rain since May, I think.

Back
Top Bottom