"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Thumbs up I Planted My Garden

I love this time of year. My garden has been planted. Here is what I have so far...

I planted three kinds of tomatoes. I forgot the name of the first kind, but it was something like Explosive or some other word like that possibly. I also planted Romas and Sweet 100's. I have a feeling I am going to have way more tomatoes than I can handle.

For peppers I did Jalapenos and Habaneros. I have never had luck with Jalapenos as they never seem to have any heat when I grow them, but the Habs should make up for that.

I have Zucchini and yellow Summer Squash as well as cucumbers.

I planted some sort of melon. I think it was just called Ball Melon. The photo looks like a Cantaloupe.

I also a whole bunch of basil, both green and purple as well as cilantro, rosemary, and thyme.

I hopefully am not done yet though. I expanded the garden this year by about 60% so there is still room for more (although not a lot of room anymore). I really want to get some string beans, but I have not been able to find those yet.

Oh I also forgot about the Romaine. I have 4 heads of that planted as well.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow, I am so envious!! I always wanted a garden for myself and if I had a garden this is what I would love to do, to plant my own vegetables and fruits!! Unfortunately all we can handle right now is a couple of small pots of flat leaved parsley, basil and coriander, but we cherish them.
I can really feel your enthusiasm GB, have lots of fun and ah, if you ended up with more tomatoes than you know what to do, send them over this way!!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have a feeling I will be able to bury you in tomatoes Licia
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Then I will return the favour with our apricots, our apricot tree produces a truckful of them every summer!!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Executive Chef

GB, I don't think you'll be buried in tomatoes - The 'explosive' sound like a beefsteak, like you would use on a sandwich, or in a salad; also remember to pick a few greenies for fried green tomatoes!. The Roma is your 'sauce' tomato, and the Sweet 100 - if you can keep your hands off the plant long enough to actually harvest a bunch without popping them in your mouth all the time, 1 plant should be fine! THey're absolutely delicious out of hand - I'm sure your little one will love them too!

Are you looking for string bean plants? I'm not sure you can find those - but bean seeds are so easy to plant, and in the heat they'll sprout and come up right away.

How about some cucumbers? Also easy to grow from seed.

Toward the end of your summer, when it starts to cool off, you can plant some broccoli, leaf lettuce, and beets to use for salad greens; chard, kale, all the 'cool weather' crops.

I'm already harvesting my Sweet 100s, and have tiny cukes, melon and squash.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah Marm the explosive (I know that is not their name and it is driving me crazy trying to remember what they are really called) are a beefsteak type tomato. I have 6 of each type planted. I planted the Sweet 100's with Rachel in mind. I think she will have a ball with those (once we cut them in half so she doesn't choke).

The cukes are already planted so I won't need to do those from seed, but thanks for the suggestion for growing string beans from seed. I will pick up a package tonight.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sounds like you and Paul should get together and go to an AA meeting on growing tomatoes. lol!! He over planted too. I think we have about 10 plants of all different kinds. There are only the two of us but.... I think the neighbors will be knocking on the door begging for some.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I am taking after my FIL. Last year they had tomatoes on every flat surface in their house. There was almost no room for people in there. Well he planted too early this year and all his plants died in all the rain we had so at least I will be able to give him a bunch from mine hopefully.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

My wonderful wife just checked on the name of the other tomatoes that I planted cause it was driving me crazy. They are called SuperSonic.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

Mine garden is about to be taken by the weeds. Kim did get the little tiller running...it's the one that will go between the plants. Now I just need to get my yard man here. He was supposed to show up this morning, but never did.