I Planted My Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I love this time of year. My garden has been planted. Here is what I have so far...

I planted three kinds of tomatoes. I forgot the name of the first kind, but it was something like Explosive or some other word like that possibly. I also planted Romas and Sweet 100's. I have a feeling I am going to have way more tomatoes than I can handle.

For peppers I did Jalapenos and Habaneros. I have never had luck with Jalapenos as they never seem to have any heat when I grow them, but the Habs should make up for that.

I have Zucchini and yellow Summer Squash as well as cucumbers.

I planted some sort of melon. I think it was just called Ball Melon. The photo looks like a Cantaloupe.

I also a whole bunch of basil, both green and purple as well as cilantro, rosemary, and thyme.

I hopefully am not done yet though. I expanded the garden this year by about 60% so there is still room for more (although not a lot of room anymore). I really want to get some string beans, but I have not been able to find those yet.

Oh I also forgot about the Romaine. I have 4 heads of that planted as well.

Wow, I am so envious!! I always wanted a garden for myself and if I had a garden this is what I would love to do, to plant my own vegetables and fruits!! Unfortunately all we can handle right now is a couple of small pots of flat leaved parsley, basil and coriander, but we cherish them.
I can really feel your enthusiasm GB, have lots of fun and ah, if you ended up with more tomatoes than you know what to do, send them over this way!!:ROFLMAO:

Then I will return the favour with our apricots, our apricot tree produces a truckful of them every summer!!:ROFLMAO:

GB, I don't think you'll be buried in tomatoes - The 'explosive' sound like a beefsteak, like you would use on a sandwich, or in a salad; also remember to pick a few greenies for fried green tomatoes!. The Roma is your 'sauce' tomato, and the Sweet 100 - if you can keep your hands off the plant long enough to actually harvest a bunch without popping them in your mouth all the time, 1 plant should be fine! THey're absolutely delicious out of hand - I'm sure your little one will love them too!

Are you looking for string bean plants? I'm not sure you can find those - but bean seeds are so easy to plant, and in the heat they'll sprout and come up right away.

How about some cucumbers? Also easy to grow from seed.

Toward the end of your summer, when it starts to cool off, you can plant some broccoli, leaf lettuce, and beets to use for salad greens; chard, kale, all the 'cool weather' crops.

I'm already harvesting my Sweet 100s, and have tiny cukes, melon and squash.

Yeah Marm the explosive (I know that is not their name and it is driving me crazy trying to remember what they are really called) are a beefsteak type tomato. I have 6 of each type planted. I planted the Sweet 100's with Rachel in mind. I think she will have a ball with those (once we cut them in half so she doesn't choke).

The cukes are already planted so I won't need to do those from seed, but thanks for the suggestion for growing string beans from seed. I will pick up a package tonight.

Sounds like you and Paul should get together and go to an AA meeting on growing tomatoes. lol!! He over planted too. I think we have about 10 plants of all different kinds. There are only the two of us but.... I think the neighbors will be knocking on the door begging for some.

I am taking after my FIL. Last year they had tomatoes on every flat surface in their house. There was almost no room for people in there. Well he planted too early this year and all his plants died in all the rain we had so at least I will be able to give him a bunch from mine hopefully.

My wonderful wife just checked on the name of the other tomatoes that I planted cause it was driving me crazy. They are called SuperSonic.

Mine garden is about to be taken by the weeds. Kim did get the little tiller running...it's the one that will go between the plants. Now I just need to get my yard man here. He was supposed to show up this morning, but never did. :mad:

GB said:
Yeah Marm the explosive (I know that is not their name and it is driving me crazy trying to remember what they are really called) are a beefsteak type tomato. I have 6 of each type planted.quote]

Ooops - Lol, I thought you had 1 of each type, 3 total! My bad! Well, now you just have to go out and buy a freezer!

Did you know you could roast tomatoes in olive oil, whatever herb you want, then put them in ziplocks and freeze them? Great for pastas and pasta salads.

marmalady said:
Did you know you could roast tomatoes in olive oil, whatever herb you want, then put them in ziplocks and freeze them? Great for pastas and pasta salads.
I LOVE doing that! I can't wait!!!

GB,
Marm is right about those roasted tomatoes, they are so good, mine never make it to the freezer, we've been using our romas,roasted, herbed and oiled and put on grilled sandwishes..the best. Can't wait to hear how your turn out..

kadesma:)

I have grown jalapenos before and some have had less heat than others.

The habanero's will 10000% make up for the lack of heat that the jalapeno pepper has.

I expanded my garden space, too.

I am growing most of what GB is except no melon (allergy)

I have 8 types of tomatoes (3 cherry, 2 yellow, roma, early girl, big boy). A cat apparently sat on my 2 brandywines:mad: and killed them early. One of my cherries looks bad but everything elese looks good. I even have little bitty jalapenos growing already!

Oh and I am growing spinach, swiss chard, cabage and cauliflower. My cauliflower never comes out right so I dont know whay I keep doing it.

Thanks riverli. This weekend I plan on taking pictures of the garden in its infancy then ones I start to harvest I will make sure to take more pictures!

I too put in a garden again this year and all was doing great but now I see where a rabbit got inside the fence and ate the tops off 20 of my pole beans so now I will reseed. My 20 some toamtoes are doing great and the sweet corn is about 8 in tall now. Potatoes are all up and the rhutabeggies are doing great.. My onions are doing nice and hope they continue as I always have problems with those. Always end up to sm. Put in several pepper plants and cabbage. Rabbit got one cabbage plant too. Trying radishes again but never have much luck with those either. Planted dill for the first time and looks good so far. Didn't plant any cucumbers tho.Have enough pickles from last year. There are alot of folks that will use the dill around here for their pickles. I love to garden and I am always learning more each year on what to do and not to do. I wish everyone could have a garden.

Congrats GB.....isn't it great! I went out and saw where I now have little green cherry tomatoes.....YIPPEE! I can't even explain the satisfaction you get of seeing something grow that you've put in the ground. Since I've never had a veg. garden its very exciting for me. My other tomato plants (Roma and Big Boys) are really doing well....they just sported flowers a few days ago. The Green/Red/Yellow peppers are looking good. As for my cucumbers.....those are still iffy. We had a hail storm about a month ago and they really did a number on them. The neighbors tame furry black/white rabbit decided to have a feast on my radishes, carrots and mixed salad blend so I really need to go and work the soil where they were and plant something else. I'm not sure what though.
My herb garden has really turned around. After I planted them some bugs had a feast for awhile but I sprinkled some bug granuals (made for veg. gardens) in the soil and that seemed to do the trick. My BF and I were talking last night and she was complaining about how much Basil she had ....she'd planted it last year. I was shocked and said, "I planted 4". She got a kick out of that as she only planted the one last year and has so much she's trying to give it away.
Anyway, good luck with your garden. By the way....do you know if I have to stake my cucumber plants or put a tomato cage around them?

I let my cucumber plants go without any stakes or cages. They just sort of crawl across the dirt. Works for me :)

Yes there really is a huge satisfaction in seeing food come about by what you did with your own hands. It really is a great feeling!

Back
Top Bottom