I spilled the gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
DW asked me to roast a chicken for dinner last night. She wanted to have some leftover chicken for meals for Rachel so that is the main reason she wanted it. Roasting is one of the things I have not done often enough to feel super comfortable with doing so I always try to pay more attention to that then if I was cooking something I have done 100 times. The chicken and veggies came out of the oven looking and smelling great. I put the chicken on my plastic cutting board with the well and tented it with foil to rest while I made the gravy (my favorite part of course :) ). As I was making the gravy I noticed that there was a pool of juice on the counter next to the cutting board. Hmm maybe the chicken was just so juicy that the well in the board couldn't hold it all. OK I could deal with that. The chicken had rested enough so I lift the foil to carve the bird. I then realize why there was juice on the counter. There was a hole in the well in the plastic cutting board :mad:. Well before any more juice could be lost I picked up the cutting board (chicken and all) and go to pour the juice into the gravy that I had just finished making. The chicken starts to slide and in my attempt to save the chicken I knock the gravy bowl over spilling most of the brown gold onto the counter :furious:. I was so upset with myself, but got over it. Since the counter was clean except for the spill I decided what I would do. I carved the chicken and as I took each piece off the bird I wiped it in the gravy spill on the counter. There was still some gravy that was in the bowl too. Most of it spilled, but I saved about 20% I would say.

Well the meal came out great anyway, but now I have no cutting board with a well. I guess that is a good reason to buy a new (and better) cutting board :)

Don't beat yourself up GB, these things happen to the best of us. I bet your chicken still tasted absoletely wonderful (you've certainly got me craving chicken and gravy now!):)

marmalady said:
This is the perfect reason to keep a jar of Boston Market Chicken Gravy on hand!:mrgreen:
LOL that is EXACTLY what my wife said :LOL:

Piccolina I did beat myself up for a while, but quickly got over it. The meal was delicious and my baby girl loved it too so that made me real happy. i made some roasted quash and celery root along with the chicken and DW said the squash was one of the best things she had ever tasted. Funny thing is I didn't do anything to it other than season it with salt and a little bit of EVOO. it cooked in the chicken fat too so that added to it as well I am sure. I will have to make more roasted squash for her soon.

Oh GB, that would have made me so mad too! I bet you are chuckling about it now though. OK Santa, GB needs a new cutting board please!

I liked how you wiped it in the gravy! I would have taken my rubber scraper and scraped it off into a bowl and served it. :ohmy:

Jenny I stood there staring at the spill for many minutes trying to figure our if and how I could save it. I thought about scraping it into a bowl, but i had visions on me screwing that up too and getting it all over the floor. I had a bad case of the "dropsies" yesterday so I really didn't trust myself with too much :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom