"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

I spilled the gravy

DW asked me to roast a chicken for dinner last night. She wanted to have some leftover chicken for meals for Rachel so that is the main reason she wanted it. Roasting is one of the things I have not done often enough to feel super comfortable with doing so I always try to pay more attention to that then if I was cooking something I have done 100 times. The chicken and veggies came out of the oven looking and smelling great. I put the chicken on my plastic cutting board with the well and tented it with foil to rest while I made the gravy (my favorite part of course ). As I was making the gravy I noticed that there was a pool of juice on the counter next to the cutting board. Hmm maybe the chicken was just so juicy that the well in the board couldn't hold it all. OK I could deal with that. The chicken had rested enough so I lift the foil to carve the bird. I then realize why there was juice on the counter. There was a hole in the well in the plastic cutting board . Well before any more juice could be lost I picked up the cutting board (chicken and all) and go to pour the juice into the gravy that I had just finished making. The chicken starts to slide and in my attempt to save the chicken I knock the gravy bowl over spilling most of the brown gold onto the counter . I was so upset with myself, but got over it. Since the counter was clean except for the spill I decided what I would do. I carved the chicken and as I took each piece off the bird I wiped it in the gravy spill on the counter. There was still some gravy that was in the bowl too. Most of it spilled, but I saved about 20% I would say.

Well the meal came out great anyway, but now I have no cutting board with a well. I guess that is a good reason to buy a new (and better) cutting board

Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

This is the perfect reason to keep a jar of Boston Market Chicken Gravy on hand!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Don't beat yourself up GB, these things happen to the best of us. I bet your chicken still tasted absoletely wonderful (you've certainly got me craving chicken and gravy now!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
This is the perfect reason to keep a jar of Boston Market Chicken Gravy on hand!
LOL that is EXACTLY what my wife said

Piccolina I did beat myself up for a while, but quickly got over it. The meal was delicious and my baby girl loved it too so that made me real happy. i made some roasted quash and celery root along with the chicken and DW said the squash was one of the best things she had ever tasted. Funny thing is I didn't do anything to it other than season it with salt and a little bit of EVOO. it cooked in the chicken fat too so that added to it as well I am sure. I will have to make more roasted squash for her soon.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Everymom

Oh GB, that would have made me so mad too! I bet you are chuckling about it now though. OK Santa, GB needs a new cutting board please!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Master Chef

I liked how you wiped it in the gravy! I would have taken my rubber scraper and scraped it off into a bowl and served it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Jenny I stood there staring at the spill for many minutes trying to figure our if and how I could save it. I thought about scraping it into a bowl, but i had visions on me screwing that up too and getting it all over the floor. I had a bad case of the "dropsies" yesterday so I really didn't trust myself with too much