Otter, a lau lau is salted butterfish, pork and chicken wrapped in layers of taro leaves and ti leaves and steamed.
* 1/2 pound salt butterfish, rinsed several times to remove excess salt
* 1/2 pound pork butt, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 4 boneless chicken thighs
* 1 tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt
* 8 leaves ti leaves
* 1 pound taro leaves
1. Season fish, pork and chicken with Hawaiian sea salt. Place 2 ti leaves in an X on a flat surface for each of the 4 servings.
2. Place 1/4 of each of the fish, pork and chicken onto the center of 3 or 4 taro leaves. Wrap securely with the taro leaves, then place each wrap on a set of ti leaves. Tie the ends of the ti leaves together with a piece of string.
3. Place the bundles in a large steamer, and steam for 3 to 4 hours.