"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

This is absolutely delicious I would grill some asparagus with the lobster,a simple salad dressed with a regular vinaigrette since the lobster dressing is soo rich.A nice crusty bread.Dessert something not to heavy maybe with fresh fruit or mousse.
Tips you only need 1/2 or less of the chili vinagrette it makes way to much and add up to double chili sauce/garlic sauce.Ive made this many times.Make a couple extra lobster tails and have cold with sauce the next day.Still incredibley good.A special meal indeed

Grilled Lobster with Creamy Chili Vinaigrette Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 11-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Head Chef

Rack of lamb, baked potato, steamed asparagus with Hollandaise.

Molten Chocolate Cake for dessert.

(this is not what I'm HAVING, but it's what my fantasy meal for two would be)

Lee

Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #13
Master Chef

My ideal Christmas Dinner:

A cucumber salad like this Lebanese Salad , and a bowl of Baba Ganoush with lots of flavorful EVOO, with lightly toasted whole wheat Pita (just toasted enough to warm it and give it a little color - not enough to make it hard like a cracker or chip).

Roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, and a gravy made from making a roux from all of the pan drippings (including all the fat) and milk (goat's milk if I could find it) and/or chicken stock.

For sides - a saffron rice, galric and onion pilaf (or long grain and wild rice with miniature onions, garlic, a mixture of dry wild mushrooms and chestnuts and herbs), mashed boiled turnips or parsnips, and Brussels sprouts - split in half and par-steamed - then sauted in EVOO and smokey bacon drippings.

Baklava for dessert ...

Or - something like along those lines ...

I'll probably have a smoked ham, baked sweet potatoes, mashed turnips, baked summer squash cassarole, and cornbread ....
Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Just for 2..?

I'd start with homemade ravioli, stuffed with chestnuts, and served in a browned butter sauce, topped with crushed ameretti cookies.

Then, I'd make pan seared scallops served with pignoli nuts on a bed of wilted spinach greens.

Then, individual beef wellingtons with mushroom paté instead of the liver paté with sauted carrots with baby peas, oven roasted fingerling potatoes and accompanied with a sherry sauce for the beef ......served with a steamed cranberry pudding instead of traditional dinner bread.

Strufoli for dessert.

I'd spend hours in the wine store, pairing just the right wines, too.

How'd you snag a professional kitchen.....and who are you cooking for?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
Head Chef

[quote=Michael in FtW;512114]My ideal Christmas Dinner:

A cucumber salad like this Lebanese Salad , and a bowl of Baba Ganoush with lots of flavorful EVOO, with lightly toasted whole wheat Pita (just toasted enough to warm it and give it a little color - not enough to make it hard like a cracker or chip).

Roasted lamb with garlic and rosemary, and a gravy made from making a roux from all of the pan drippings (including all the fat) and milk (goat's milk if I could find it) and/or chicken stock.

For sides - a saffron rice, galric and onion pilaf (or long grain and wild rice with miniature onions, garlic, a mixture of dry wild mushrooms and chestnuts and herbs), mashed boiled turnips or parsnips, and Brussels sprouts - split in half and par-steamed - then sauted in EVOO and smokey bacon drippings.

Baklava for dessert ...

quote]

Hey, Michael, can you make that for THREE???

Holy moley, that fantasy sounds great!

Lee
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

Since I will be hosting Christmas Eve. I think Christmas day will be simple. Maybe some ravioli, noodles and tomato sauce with pork. It will most likely just be three of us. And hopefully some leftovers from the night before!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Shrimp Remoulade
Roast Duck & Andouille Gumbo

Smoked Turkey Breast
Cornbread Dressing
Asparagus/Prosciutto
Frozen Cranberry Salad

Warm Peach Cobbler/Vanilla Icecream
Coffee & Chicory

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Tuna tartare with black caviar and Champagne to start, small leg of lamb with my rosemary/dijon pesto (PM me if you need the recipe) along with a red wine and radicchio risotto, collard greens cooked down in a bit of beef broth, Châteauneuf-du-Pape to drink. For dessert something chocolate with Banfi Rosa Regale to drink.

This year we're on our own for Christmas dinner and I think I just planned our menu!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
If it was just the 2 of us (which at this point seems like it wil NEVER happen)
I would still have to stick with our usual!

Roast Beef
Yorkshire pudding
Mashed Potatoes
GRAVY GRAVY GRAVY
Veggies could be changed I guess.
This year I think roasted asparagus if it looks ok at the store.
If not, Green Beans Amandine.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Thank you, everyone, for the great ideas! We cook alot of lamb and duck when I'm there, so I think the tenderloin idea is great! I'll be cooking for my fiancee, he's the EC at a country Inn, located right across the street from where he lives. Hence, if I need toys to play with, they're there.

The tapas idea also sounds great, Aunt Dot, we've been contemplating that for the wedding reception, so it could be a good time to practice.

UB, and MTW, the smoked ham, gumbo, cornbread all sound great, that would probably be his ideal meal.

I'm trying to think of something he doesn't see every day on his menu, so shrimp is out. If I could get my hands on Morton Bay Bugs, I'd be making them for sure, but the chances of that are slim and nill! He's got butter poached lobster on his NY Eve menu, so will stay away from that also.

OTOH, KE, a small leg of lamb would fit the ticket. And, I have 2 bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape waiting for me there. As well as some white Burgundies, and a Sauternes. Then there's VB's individual Beef Wellington's. I think I'll print out the whole thread and peruse more. Thanks everyone!!!

Did anyone mention a cheese course? He loves cheese!!