If not da boid....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
Normally we do da boid, OK, the turkey (grew up in Brooklyn) with all the trimmings.

Recently fractured my sit down bone and decided to defer the whole turkey thing. Cannot stand or sit to do all the cutting, dicing and that sort of thing.

Thought we would go all out and make baked stuffed lobsters instead. (The Pilgrims had tons of them available and probably ate them at the first Thanksgiving. If they did not it makes a good story). We can put those babies together in no time.

But there have gotta be a lot of folks who are not making turkey.

So I guess my question is: What are folks who are not doing turkey eating this Thursday?

My kids just don't care for turkey, so I usually just get a turkey breast for me:LOL: and the rest of the family chows down on a spiral cut ham..This way they get the stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and all the other goodies but not turkey..It works for us this way..I feel Thanksgiving is just the thanks of being with those we love...PBand J sammies would taste just as good if we are all together.

kadesma

Since it is just my wife and I, we make Cornish hens.
Usually fairly traditional, with wild rice, asparagus... stuff like that.

They are more fun to eat than turkey, LOL!

The spiral hams are good...Not any trouble. Maybe with baked sweet potato, (butter, brown sugar etc.) A big pot of turnip & mustard greens...

Lets see...That's pork, sweet potatoes, greens, and....Cornbread!!! Yep that's a full meal deal.:chef: Oh! If ya could manage a pecan pie! :ohmy:

Enjoy!

Can't answer the question. I've been cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving every year since about 1959, regardless of how many would be seated at the table.

It's been just two of us for many years now and we look forward to a turkey and plenty of leftovers. Our usual turkey these days is about 12 to 14 pounds. I can't imagine it any other way.

Viva Thanksgiving!!!:LOL:

auntdot, I feel your pain. I broke both my tailbone and wrist last winter when I slipped on some ice. I understand your wanting to simplify.

I do a 12 pound turkey and all the fixins' for SO and me. The lobster sure sounds good though.

This year my mom is making a roasted pork tenderloin with rosemary as the main dish along with a smaller turkey breast and the traditional fixings. This will be the first time we have had pork for Thanksgiving dinner. It sounds pretty good though.

DH and I made a roasted chicken once, before kids and living away from family.

Boy it used to be so quiet.........

Sometimes I make a pork shoulder for Thanksgiving and a turkey for Christmas (usually it's the other way around in this family). It doesn't really matter; if it involves food and family, it's a day to be thankful even if it's not the third Thursday of November. :)

My mom always makes a ham for Thanksgiving, its nice, but I actually like turkey, so on the odd years when we go to her house for Thanksgiving, I miss the turkey.

My kids just don't care for turkey, so I usually just get a turkey breast for me:LOL: and the rest of the family chows down on a spiral cut ham..This way they get the stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and all the other goodies but not turkey..It works for us this way..I feel Thanksgiving is just the thanks of being with those we love...PBand J sammies would taste just as good if we are all together.

kadesma

I am right here with you, DH will not eat turkey so Ham and a turkey breast it is - dressing in all - Have a great one !

For the past 6 years or so we've been going to my sister's for Thanksgiving but, my kids insist I make a full turkey dinner at home the next day. My husband and son alwys make the stuffing together. It is a "recipe" that my husband used to make with his grandfather.My son already told his wife of 3 months that he will be making the stuffing with his son when they have children and if they don't have a son- there will be no Pop's stuffing after this generation :).Happy Thanksgiving all!!Love and energy, Vicki
PS this thanksgiving we will be spliting our time - appetizer's first at my sis' and then dinner at my son's in-laws- somehow it all seems very strange.

PS this thanksgiving we will be spliting our time - appetizer's first at my sis' and then dinner at my son's in-laws- somehow it all seems very strange.

Just think of it as establishing a new tradition. Everyone needs to regroup every once in a while. At least you had some traditions already in place. Go for it. You've expanded your family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you Katie. I'm looking forward to spending some time with EVERYONE at both places. I am thankful we are able to do so.I am also thankful for all the memories of Thanksgivings past. I wish you and Buck a great day!! Love and energy, Vicki

One year we went out, but even then we orderd turkey. I love turkey. Make it few times during year. I especially love turkey meat ball soup. I saw it on Iron chef, but did not know what they did with it, so I had to improvise.

At the club I work at, we do "to go" dinners for some of the members, that want a full dinner at home, but don't want to cook it themselves. We have 3 different types of the main course, be it Turkey, Ham, or Roast Beef.

Personally, I'm a turkey person, although if a slice of ham makes it onto my plate, I'll enjoy that as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom