"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #91
Head Chef

I guess if you have these things in your cupboard and fridge, then no, you're not assuming too much. I'm intrigued to see what you might use Frosted Shredded Wheat in!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:26 AM   #92
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
I guess if you have these things in your cupboard and fridge, then no, you're not assuming too much. I'm intrigued to see what you might use Frosted Shredded Wheat in!
I have a recipe where boneless pork chops are breaded with Frosted Shredded Wheat . . . . . sounds weird, but tastes great!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #93
Senior Cook

Sweetheart, I gotz moi money than I needz. What's yo address ?
I'd make "poor-man's cheesecake" Everything borrowed in exchange for a slice !!!
No one should go hungry. Ill fatten you all up.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #94
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I have a recipe where boneless pork chops are breaded with Frosted Shredded Wheat . . . . . sounds weird, but tastes great!
now that just sounds wonderful. I'm going to try that, thanx BigDog
Old 09-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #95
Head Chef

I always think that who ever invented knitting must have had an amazing imagination. There he or she is, sitting there with two sticks and a pile of yarn. And for some reason they decide to tie the yarn round the sticks and do this funny kind of twiddly motion and look guys, it's a scarf!

I think boneless pork chops breaded with Frosted Shredded Wheat isn't far behind for imagination! How did you come up with it?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #96
Executive Chef

I read something a while back on budgeting. One of the ideas was to declare yourself poor for a week and eat that way, don't spend anything you don't have to and see how much money you save. I think it would probably be good to do that once a month, but I probably won't.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #97
Master Chef

I think the biggest problem is not so much "eating like you're poor", but eating healthy when on a strict budget.

I come across an awful lot of people who think buying Hamburger Helper is a good (& cheap) alternative to buying meat & fresh vegetables. I think the problem stems from so many people having no idea how to properly utilize cheaper cuts of meat, or having no idea how to properly cut up a whole chicken rather than buy the precut parts (which are always more expensive), or are willing to experiment with inexpensive types of seafood, like cod, catfish, etc., instead of just going for pricey steamed shrimp or processed frozen fish sticks. Also - there are a completely unbelievable number of people who also aren't willing to try new vegetables - it's always green beans, baked potatoes, etc. - forget about chard, kale, different squashes in season, etc., etc. And then, of course, there's that whole wonderful world of dry beans - something else that many people just don't want to learn about. When I contribute to our local food pantries here - both throughout the year & during the holidays - I always include cans & bags of different dried beans & bags of rice with the other more interesting things I always give.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #98
Assistant Cook

Fettucini Alfredo

campbell cream of mushroom soup $0.99
Fettucini $0.99
Chicken quarters $0.69/lb so 1.38 for 2lb leg thigh deboned
the remaining $1.64 goes to the purchase of bread crumbs and garlic cloves
Old 09-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #99
Head Chef

Talking

I would probably fix spaghetti and I have some already made sauce in the refrigerator.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #100
Head Chef

When ground beef is on sale, I stock up on it.
I make a great shepherds pie that is made with ground beef, or meatloaf, baked ziti, burgers on the grill.

Last night I made beef/vegtable soup with leftover frozen pot roast and the stock, a bag of frozen veggies, a small head of caggage and some tomatoes (from the farmers market). The meal probably cost $3.50 total and it made a big stockpot of soup.

there are alot of good ideas for cheap yet good meals on this thread.