"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for bumping this up Texas I always have a bag of pinto beans on hand as well as at least a 1/4 lb. of bacon, onions, garlic so I would make a pot of my dads beans, have a green salad if we wanted it and some warm french bread..That's it, easy, frugal and no running out to the store.
kadesma

Old 12-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #42
Master Chef

a good soup.. we have enough soup meat in our freezer... just some carrots, celery and some.. hmm.. what do you call it? field garlic? leek?
that`s the problem with my dicionary page... i ask for one word and I get a variety of answers..
okay.. all that together and you get a wonderful beef broth....

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #43
Head Chef

How about bean burritos?

Saute some diced onions in some bacon grease, or other fat or oil.

Add canned and drained kidney beans (reserve the fluid) and some cumin or chili sauce.

Cook for a few minutes and then mash (use a potato masher or dump into food processor).

Add some of the reserved fluid if needed.

Soften large flour tortillas by steaming over boiling water.

Slather bean mixture on tortillas and top with raw diced onions, cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa, taco sauce, anthing you want.

Wrap up and enjoy.

Did this many times when we were strapped for cash.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Tuna noodle casserole would be one choice.

As much as I normally hate SPAM, we discovered that we like it cut into strips and baked with sauerkraut, and served with mashed potatoes and peas.

Barbara
Old 12-29-2005, 06:59 PM   #45
Master Chef

Micheal, my mom made slumgullion too, and I loved it.

This one's pretty easy for me, because I had to make lots of cheap meals when my kids were little.

Mon: Creamed chipped beef with peas on biscuits
Tues: Sausage & Noodle Casserole...made with 1 lb. bulk pork sausage, crm mushroom soup, noodles and Velveeta Cheese
Wed: Texas more, made with hamburger, corn, tomato sauce, elbow macaroni & Velveeta Cheese, garlic bread
Thurs: Chicken and dumplings made from leg quarters, cornbread & green beans
Friday: re-runs from above
Sat: Bunwiches, tuna salad made with hard-boiled eggs, tuna, sliced olives, cubed Velveeta Cheese and Miracle whip, spread into hollowed out French bread, wrapped in foil, and baked at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Sunday: Burgers on the grill.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM   #46
Executive Chef

When we were saving money to buy our first house, I tried to be really frugal about how I spent money. I would buy a 10 pounder of ground beef and stretch it out for the entire week. One night tacos, the next meatloaf, the next spaghetti with meatballs, the next chili, the next stroganoff, the next MaidRite sandwiches, the next stuffed peppers. DH never realized that all week he'd been eating ground beef. The price was right for sure back then.

My take on cooking is sometimes odd at best. I like to come up with things that often make no sense to anyone except me. And I'll add that many times, the end result states why, they turn out awful. Is there tuna/chicken/ham/turkey (canned) in the pantry? I can make masterpieces out of them making a sauce of sorts with soups/cheese/lemon etc. Using a breading method stretches the meat and therefore makes the main dish go further. Canned veggies or fresh ones can add to the size/interest of an otherwise boring salad. Quick breads add to the sustenance of the meal too. I like Sally Lunn's muffins. Everyone has the ingredients readily available so they're easy to make up.

Home made Mac and Cheese is a favorite of mine. Kids these days though have been raised on the blue-boxed stuff and for whatever reason seem to prefer it. You can get a large amount of Mac and Cheese and the budget isn't broken, if you make from scratch.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:24 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedee
Aldi's and Save-A-Lot
I saw this and had to laugh... even in Germany, its mother-country, Aldi's is less expensive.

Edited to get rid of the ugly typo.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #48
Sous Chef

I'd buy a chicken, roast it, buy half a kilo of a vegetable and make a gravy. Maybe make noodles in the stock from boiling the chicken bones.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
I saw this and had to laugh... even in Germany, it's mother-country, Aldi's is less expensive.
Here in Rome Lidl is our choice of supermarkets!! They are always full of good values for your money
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Micheal, my mom made slumgullion too, and I loved it.

This one's pretty easy for me, because I had to make lots of cheap meals when my kids were little.

Mon: Creamed chipped beef with peas on biscuits
Tues: Sausage & Noodle Casserole...made with 1 lb. bulk pork sausage, crm mushroom soup, noodles and Velveeta Cheese
Wed: Texas more, made with hamburger, corn, tomato sauce, elbow macaroni & Velveeta Cheese, garlic bread
Thurs: Chicken and dumplings made from leg quarters, cornbread & green beans
Friday: re-runs from above
Sat: Bunwiches, tuna salad made with hard-boiled eggs, tuna, sliced olives, cubed Velveeta Cheese and Miracle whip, spread into hollowed out French bread, wrapped in foil, and baked at 350 until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Sunday: Burgers on the grill.
how do you make the creamed chipped beef? I used to eat the soup,but, haven't been able to find it since I was little.