"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #61
Master Chef
We do the same thing, Nettie, only I use canned chicken gumbo. I call them them sloppy Joes.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #62
Assistant Cook

This probably sounds stupid....but what is canned chicken gumbo?

- Annette
nettieplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #63
Senior Cook
Slum Gullion!
The best and hartiest for sure.
FTWorth is right!
pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #64
Senior Cook
Of course spaghetti and meatballs are always well recieved!
Meatloaf is another very popular meal.
pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #65
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Tuna noodle casserole(all you need is a can of tuna, cheese,english peas,milk.and if worse come to worse you could leave out the peas...and of course there is always beans and rice)
kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #66
Assistant Cook
What a great thread! The following are pretty standard for us when I'm watching our pennies.

With a package of reduced fat bacon, I would stretch it over a few nights with some of the following:

blts with oven-roasted potatoes
Mark Bittman's Pasta with Potatoes (a pasta & potato kind of stew flavored with a bit of bacon and spiced with red pepper flakes)
green salad with poached eggs and hash browns
quiche or frittata
baked potatoes with bacon, cheese, and green onions.

With ground beef, I would make (as many have suggested) meatloaf or sloppy joes.

Pasta - where to begin?
Make a red sauce with canned tomatoes, herbs, and black olives
Lemon fettucine
Mark Bittman's Pasta with Charred Onions & Cilantro
The Urban Peasant's Pasta with Sauteed Mushrooms (using button mushrooms) flavored with soy sauce
Pasta with Roasted Vegetables

Cheese Quesadillas with Green Salad
Egg-fried Rice with peas and green onions
Pancakes with Fruit
AndreainDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #67
Executive Chef
I'm going to take some of these seriously. I need to declare myself "poor" until I save up from all the holiday spending.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #68
Head Chef
When things get tight here, we tend to go with the big family packs of hamburger as well (i'm sorry, i don't recall who suggested it first )

We do hamburger gravy (brown 1 lb. hamburger with 1/2 an onion, s & p to taste, sprinkle with 1/3 cup or so of flour, allow to brown for 2 or 3 minutes, whisk in equal parts beef broth and milk to the consistancy you like for you gravy) served with either mashed potatoes or egg noodles, depending on what's on hand and green beans.
Meatloaf and meatballs with marinara.
Canned chicken gravy (same process as above except with chicken broth of course ) with egg noodles and peas.

We also tend to eat alot of breakfast for dinner when we're stretching ... pancakes, frenchtoast, frittata or omelettes and oatmeal with milk.

JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #69
Head Chef
Hope its ok to bump this one
I did a search for "budget meals" - for the obvious reason! - and quite few threads came up. I was going to post links to them, they are all very good reading, but it kind of clogged up the screen (some of the links were three lines long?), so anyone interested could just do the same search I've done (sorry!).

Relocating and loing my income is starting to hit us hard, and I am going to have to spend more to refine my Italian in order to be able to work. Not working is not all negative. For example, I am going to be able to be more regular about stock making and I don't expect a stockworthy ingrediant to find itsself going in the bin with a regretful shrug of the shoulders and look at the watch!

I have been reading through the threads and although many of the ideas aren't so relevant to me, outside USA, a lot of them are equally applicable whereever we are.

The thing that really struck me was the advice Michael in Ft Worth gave about shopping lists and planning ahead. At one point he mentioned he would like to see a thread on meals under $5 for a month. I am going to write such a thing out for myself because it struck me what a good idea this is. I am a list shopper...but the meals get juggled around an awful lot, and I am not good enough with left overs. On the occasionas I bank on the lefftovers I find my husband clears them as seconds.

The other situation that I, and I am sure many other people on a budget, find is that I am in rented...there is a decent (small by US standard though) fridge with a small freezer compartment. I'll pack it well, but I certainly won't be able to put too much in there, so this is where the list becomes more important than the bargain shopping!

What we have done for the past couple of years is list shop for six days of the week and then allow a day for eating out, having take out/whatever. I want to take that a stage further and eat our meals in an order that means I am using the left overs the very next day and cooking the amount needed per day (eg, not cooking a batch of soup, but expecting to make a soup or what ever daily, so it cannot all be scoffed!)

What I really liked about Michaels 30 day idea is that I think budget cooking it is easier than ever to fall into a rut. Something cheap, easy and you know is going to be liked becomes favoured over novelty: in the long term that makes the whole thing harder to stick to.

Having looked at all of that, we have a budget meal that I might have posted before can't remember. Its unappetisingly called cat sick in our house, but it tastes a lot better than that. Its a light meal on its own, or adds warmth to an otherwise unwinter friendly bowl of green salad and substance to a thin bowl of soup when served as a side.

1 can sardines, grated cheddar or cheddar type cheese, splash of Worcester sauce and a good squirt of ketchup. Combine, spred over bread/crumpets/muffins..any bready thing!...and grill. It is trashy but oh, so satisfying. I buy sardines in bulk and we eat a lot of this toward the end of the pay month!
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #70
Sous Chef
"CAT SICK" Lulu??!! Gosh that does sound tasty! I can just picture the color, too ... bet it's that special greenish color my (English ... is it a coincidence?) mother calls "s**t color by moonlight" ...

I'll add it to my list of revolting food names, thus far only having "dead dog" and "spotted dick" as entries, but I'll betcha we could all go on a tangent here.

XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote