"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #81
Senior Cook

Yummy

This is a good topic. I got so many Ideas. My boyfriend taught me this dish. Mix 2 cans of cream soup ( mushroom, celery, etc) Mix with a can of tuna heat and serve over rice. Its realy good. Also I love tator tot casserole.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #82
Cook

I think I would buy 5 rifle bullets. Trade one deer for vegees and pantry items. Another for some beer, and yet another for 5 more rifle bullets, and have the family eat like kings all winter.

and your welcome to come have some free range, chemical free meat at my house June.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #83
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercliff_46
I think I would buy 5 rifle bullets. Trade one deer for vegees and pantry items. Another for some beer, and yet another for 5 more rifle bullets, and have the family eat like kings all winter.

and your welcome to come have some free range, chemical free meat at my house June.

#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #84
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
This thread inspired me to head to one of the local Asian markets around town.

For only $15 you could get 25 lb. bags of almost any type of rice imagineable-
Basmati, Jasmine, Thai Jasmine, Brown, Wild, Thai Sweet rice, the list goes on and on.

There were also countless bags of dried beans, lentils, you name it; all for about the same price as the rice.

I bought about 10 lbs. of stir-fry noodles for $8, as well as large bottles of Soy, Rice wine vinegar, and Siracha for about $1.80 each.

FYI- Chicken/pork/beef on some toasted bread with a mixture of mayo and siracha + a little ketchup makes a pretty tasty and cheap sandwich. Throw in some of that cheap rice and you've got quite a meal.

To my surprise they also had some woks for sale there, most of them were the same non-stick variety that crapped out on me about 4 months ago, but they had a lone carbon-steel wok, which IO quickly snatched up for a meager $20! You can expect to see me posting in the Ethnic food forums again soon, I think :D
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #85
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
This thread inspired me to head to one of the local Asian markets around town.

For only $15 you could get 25 lb. bags of almost any type of rice imagineable-
Basmati, Jasmine, Thai Jasmine, Brown, Wild, Thai Sweet rice, the list goes on and on.

There were also countless bags of dried beans, lentils, you name it; all for about the same price as the rice.

I bought about 10 lbs. of stir-fry noodles for $8, as well as large bottles of Soy, Rice wine vinegar, and Siracha for about $1.80 each.

FYI- Chicken/pork/beef on some toasted bread with a mixture of mayo and siracha + a little ketchup makes a pretty tasty and cheap sandwich. Throw in some of that cheap rice and you've got quite a meal.

To my surprise they also had some woks for sale there, most of them were the same non-stick variety that crapped out on me about 4 months ago, but they had a lone carbon-steel wok, which IO quickly snatched up for a meager $20! You can expect to see me posting in the Ethnic food forums again soon, I think :D
"and gee Honey! I only spent $500, and I saved $59,000 in coupons". Do you happen to know my wife
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #86
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Red Beans & Rice
Corn Tortillas
Broccoli
Oranges or apples for dessert
Milk for the kids
Tea for the adults
Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #87
Cook

Despite the many ideas here, I wouldn't like to be in a position where spending a maximum of 5$ for a meal is actually a requirement to make it to the end of the month
This being said: here's a cheap yet very tasty dish my mom used to make every now and then. Steamed cauliflower and potato's topped with béchamel sauce and fried eggs. The eggs not only substitute for (expensive) meat, but also the pierced yolk of the eggs acts as an extra sauce and gives the whole dish some extra dimension. It's quite tasty realy.
(it also works very well with spinach mash)
Old 09-15-2006, 03:52 AM   #88
Sous Chef

economical meals

Hello SizzlininIN

I think there is a lot i could make with that much money.

Various pasta sauces
Pancakes with cheese, mushrooms or other fillings
Various soups
Curries, if i already have the spices

I am a vegetarian, so i suppose that makes it easier to be economical.

Mel
Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #89
Senior Cook

i was really surprised that i had to wade through 8 pages before anyone even mentioned pizza. the flour for the dough is in your pantry, so you've got the whole $5 for topping. actually, most of the toppings are already in my pantry or freezer: various cheeses, olives, artichoke hearts, sardines, etc. i just need to get some nice slab bacon, spinach, zuchinni or whatever. another pizza i like is tandoori chicken with bell peppers, red onions and feta cheese.

hey! let's not forget quiche. fill it up with left overs! hee hee! save the $5 for a top-shelf wine. LOL
Old 09-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #90
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
My question for this topic is what can be assumed to have on hand? Spices? Boullion? Basic "baking products" (flour, sugar, etc.)? Crackers? Cereal?

IMHO, the first three would be considered assumed on hand. Maybe not on the crackers or cereal, mainly because the recipes I have in mind use specific types (Ritz and Frosted Shredded Wheat, respectively).

Also, I consider milk & butter to be assumed on hand.

Am I assuming too much?