If you only had $5.00 what would you fix for a family of 4?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kale

BreezyCooking said:
I think the biggest problem is not so much "eating like you're poor", but eating healthy when on a strict budget.

I come across an awful lot of people who think buying Hamburger Helper is a good (& cheap) alternative to buying meat & fresh vegetables. I think the problem stems from so many people having no idea how to properly utilize cheaper cuts of meat, or having no idea how to properly cut up a whole chicken rather than buy the precut parts (which are always more expensive), or are willing to experiment with inexpensive types of seafood, like cod, catfish, etc., instead of just going for pricey steamed shrimp or processed frozen fish sticks. Also - there are a completely unbelievable number of people who also aren't willing to try new vegetables - it's always green beans, baked potatoes, etc. - forget about chard, kale, different squashes in season, etc., etc. quote] ----- I agree with how some people dont try different things. When I was growing up we practicaly lived on canned corn, and one kind of hamburger casserole or another. My ex husband had to teach me to cook and got me trying new things. Here is a yummy recipe for kale I got of the net. If youve never had kale mabey youd like to try it! :) Stack a few kale leaves and roll lengthwise into a cigar shape. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips with a sharp knife. Repeat with remaining leaves.
Cook bacon in a wide 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, then transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off and discard all but 3 tablespoons fat from pot, then cook garlic in remaining fat over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add kale (pot will be full) and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted and bright green, about 1 minute. Add water and simmer, partially covered, until just tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Toss with bacon and salt and pepper to taste

My moc tuna casserole...

Boxed mac n cheese
Can of tuna
Lemon Juice
Black pepper

Add a green veggie and all I'd have to buy is dessert!:LOL: A dollar cake mix and a dollar can of frosting. That leaves me with $3 for a cheap bottle of wine.:-p

I think I'd go w/ spaghetti, "homemade" garlic bread (mix garlic w/ butter, parsley & salt & spread on sandwich bread), and salad. I can get a pound of ground beef for less than $2, spaghetti for .50 and salad mix for $2.

OR I'd buy a grilled chicken from walmart. I always have a starch here - rice, potatoes, noodles, whatever. And I usually have canned and/or frozen veggies. I could use the leftover to make either chicken salad or chicken soup or chicken & dumplings.

Farmer's market and get veggies for a stir-fry

Drop biscuits and chicken (broth) + veggie soup

Fried rice

Cream of mushroom soup (cheap) + white rice + chicken (optional) baked at 350

I can go on and on :)

Lentils, beans, rice, chick peas, turnips, pea soup with croutons, sauerkraut with speck, saladed string beans and potato . Limit meat portion sizes to not much more than 4 ounces. Spagehtti with olive oil and garlic (and mushrooms?). Dandelion salad. Wild cherry jam on thin pancakes. Buy whole chickens, use legs, thighs, and breasts for fried, fricasied, papricash, or caciatore and use carcass to make soup. Use meat from chicken soup to make croquettes. Filet steaks and use bones to make soup. Use soup meat to make hash.

Beans and rice, and whatever I could find for fresh veggies for a salad. By the way, the parts are not always cheaper when it comes to chicken. Almost everywhere I've lived (and as the song goes, I've lived everywhere, man) chicken leg & thigh portions are cheaper than a whole chicken. Much cheaper. Certain times of the year I can still get them for $.29/lb, but have never paid over $.49/lb. I "butcher" them myself, then freeze the thighs for barbecue, Asian foods, etc. The remaining bone and the legs I use to make stock. No, I'm not poor, just grew up paying attention to such stuff and it is ingrained to do these things.

1. Grilled Hot Dogs (generic) on buns.

2. Home made mac n cheese. (noodles + velveeta (assuming you have butter))

3. Fried Rice (eggs + rice+Garlic (1 clove) + green onion) (assuming u have butter, oil and soy), extra $? buy 1 chicken strip at the hot foods section to add, or another veggie)

4. WATERMELON! (icecream for desert?)

5. Seafood Salad (imitation crab, romaine, (*optional* hard boiled egg, artichoke, shrimp, noodles, ricotta, olive*)
dressings you can use (honey mustard, lime juice + honey, ricotta cheese, bleu cheese, balsamic)

202644667_29b7b4c6a3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread reminded me of an organization, Angel Food Ministries, that serves at least 32 states here in the U.S.

For $25 you, supposedly, get grocery items to feed a family of 4 for one week. It's an interesting concept and has, at this time, no restriction on the recipient's income or location.

My youngest brother tried it in June and was moderately impressed. Had some issues with the thickness of the meat portions. In his case, the food was quite sufficient for feeding him for almost a month.

I've been kicking around the idea of trying it once so I can see what is offered and see if it's worth recommending to some of my lower income readers or those who have fallen victim to a financial calamity.

A big pot of navy beans with some bacon in it and a skillet of cornbread served with butter and jelly and a simple salad or, if I had one or they were in season, fresh tomato slices. We had this a lot growing up out of necessity and now it's one of my favorites, especially in the winter.
Terry

I wonder whether you could feed a family of 4 on $5 and include any beef other than maybe neckbones?

I would make a hearty bean and rice dish like Hoppin' John or Red Beans and Rice with a Ham Hock for flavor and bits of meat throughout. Or a hearty Split Pea Soup, and a country, whole-grain bread.

ChefJune said:
I wonder whether you could feed a family of 4 on $5 and include any beef other than maybe neckbones?

I would make a hearty bean and rice dish like Hoppin' John or Red Beans and Rice with a Ham Hock for flavor and bits of meat throughout. Or a hearty Split Pea Soup, and a country, whole-grain bread.

Sure, crossrib steak is super cheap (0.99c/lb) 4oz/person or 8oz/person is a fine cut if you include rice/stir fry/etc

ChefJune said:

Yep, I immediately thought of Hoppin John but even just rice, beans, and onions would make a good meal. A few pieces of bacon would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom