"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom, liked eating out, cooking it however fell to her til I got big enough to say I'll do it at about 9 years old..Then dad was happy and so was mom..I learned a lot from both grandma's and from one grandpa..My dad's mom, taught me to never cook one of my kids pets, she is the reason I do NOT eat DUCK, although til she cooked my pet I loved her duck in wine..So now for me it's chicken in wine my other gram, let gramps do most of the cooking, he palled around with all the Italian folks on his beer route and they were continually giving him birds to make sauce with,giving him fresh herbs, homemade pasta dough and then taught him how to make it..This I just loved to sit in the kitchen and watch him go..I picked up a lot there..The dunking of a nice piece of Italian bread into the simmering gravy yummm, the smells,tastes of the homemade goodies..My grandmothers both were fantastic with desserts..One was a whiz at pies, apple,berry, apricot,peach all from the garden, the other could set your mouth watering with her cookies and candy..
I miss them both and my grandpa and his gravy and bread..He also made his own sauerkraut,huge dill pickles,had a large garden, with you name and it was there...I can't remember ever bying corn, potatoes,tomatoes,beans from the store..I think all we ever went for was milk and bread, the rest we had at home...

kadesma

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
Executive Chef

My maternal grandmother made biscuits from scratch for every meal - she never bought bread. They were heavenly. She also always had a garden so she canned for the winter months. She made fig preserves that turned the biscuits into dessert! She also made some excellent fried chicken, rice and gravy. But my favorite food memory from her table is the thick, juicy slices of her just-picked tomatoes. Best thing in the world. My paternal grandmother was born in 1886 (she had my dad at 45). She came to live with us when I was 11 and didn't cook at our house so I have no idea if she was a good cook or not. I suspect she wasn't, but I adored her! She died when I was 19 but I miss her to this day - she was so much fun!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
Head Chef

My grandmother (just passed away a year ago at 94) was never known for her great cooking skills. That was left up to my grandfather. However, she did make a great butterscotch pie.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Executive Chef

My maternal grandmother was a great cook and everything she made seemed to be her specialty. She made typically Southern food - Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken and rice, pot roast, baked ham - the worlds best macaroni and cheese (more cheese than macaroni) biscuits, corn bread that was even good cold - lots of crusts on it. She made a berry dish that I've never seen anyone else make. She cooked blackberries, blueberries, or even peaches til tender. Then she'd put a layer of the fruit, one of the dumpling (long strips of dough, not drop dough)another layer of fruit and another of dumpling until the dish was filled - then sugar sprinkled on the top of the last row of dumplings and baked. She would serve it with cream that she had skimmed off the top of the milk. I never at anything at her house that wasn't the best. One of the best things she did was teach her daughters and sons to cook like she did.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
Master Chef

That's an easy one...beef pot roast with potatoes, carrots and gravy, green beans, dinner rolls made with potatoes, and apple pie.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #26
Senior Cook

My paternal Grandma always says, "Come for lunch, I won't go to much bother." Then we go and it's the whole 9 yards! She does NOT know how to make a meal with only 4 different dishes. A wonderful cook, esp pies! She has always said that she'd rather make a pie than eat it. :) I'd take one of her brown sugar pies right now!!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Hospitality Queen

What a great thread, Bob!
My maternal Grandma could make anything yummy, but she really loved sugar. I think I inherited that gene

I'd have Grandma's boysenberry cobbler, still hot with vanilla ice cream on top, and of course her infamous Monster cookies (which I make at least 2x each month). Then I'd have some figs from her tree she had, cut up, in a bowl with heavy cream & sugar sprinkled on top.
I sure miss Grandma!
I also had "Busia", my Dad's mom. She was from Poland & apparently I spoke polish with her. Anyway, she taught my mom different cooking ideas than those she'd grown up with in SoCal. So, even though my Busia didn't live long into my childhood, her food lived on.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Chicken and home made noodles. With just a sprinkle of nutmeg over each bowl.

****, I want that for dinner tonight.
Come on over. You may have to help me roll'em out, though.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
Senior Cook

My mom's mom would have to be either her fried chicken or chili with water chesnuts. Yes I know it's odd. The first time she mistook them for button mushrooms, and has never cooked chili without them again.
My dad's mom...oh how will I pick? Definitely cabbage rolls. I'm so glad she taught me how. Except her recipe is "a dash of this and a little bit of that". But I love her roast chicken with mashed potatoes and cucumber salad and homemade pickles and stuffing. But I also love her sauerkraut and sausage and perogies. And I love her roast pork with apple sauce. I can't really pick a winner. Except my favourite meal would have to include cabbage rolls!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #30
Senior Cook

My grandmother passed away just before my 12th birthday and to this day I miss her terribly. I would love to be at her kitchen table just once more for roast beef with potatoes and carrots (both cooked in the roaster with the beef; I can't replicate it although I've tried) and lots of tea!