"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
COULD COOK YOU A MEAL....

What would it be????

I would only want three things....Fried Chicken, Biscuits, and Huckleberry Cobbler for dessert!!
That's a tough one, Bob. My grandma was always cooking and/or baking. She came from Hungary to the US (probably through Ellis Island - not sure, as she would tell me stories about how she dressed like a man & travelled underground? to come to the USA - flee from Hungary), & made everything from scratch - best I can recall. She kept a kosher home, & I remember her leaving the burner/pilot light on on Friday for religious reasons. Still, she managed to prepare humungous meals & cooked for an army, lol. Don't know if I have the correct words in English for some of the dishes I loved, but here a few. Flanken(?) - a meat dish with potatoes, onions & carrots - cooked on top of the stove w gravy/juices & very tender. Chicken - was cooked in a pot on the stove (not packaged - but a fresh whole chicken) & was served as a main dish or chicken soup w matzo balls or knaidlach w a meat filling served in homemade chicken soup or pan fried. Homemade knishes - potato and/or liver & onions was another fave. Rugalach - a cookie I helped making - with raisins, cinnamin & walnuts. Kugel, stuffed cabbage, chopped liver. She also served borscht & gefilte fish - not sure if it was made from scratch. A dish similar to pierogies - but called Kreplach. Potato pancakes. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Back then, the women were the cooks, & the men expected to be "served." As a child, gowing up, I do recall concentration camp numbers on my friend's parents arms. I only mention this because, cooking/history & generations that came before us, have an influence on our cooking & long gone recipes. I miss Sundays - with cream cheese lox & bagels & jelly donuts, going to the corner store on the Lower East side of manhattan & picking up white fish - reading the Sunday NY Times & nibbling. Great memories. Thanks, Bob.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I would want my Grandma's Chicken Paprikas with Austrian dumplings - or her cauliflower casserole - or her Potica - or kolachky with all different fillings - ok, I'll stop

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #43
Master Chef

My grandma was Italian, so I got Italian meals, I also remember her cooking roast chicken with potatoes with it in the oven.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #44
Executive Chef

oh....no...

My dad's mom was an awful cook. I recall raw chicken and strufoli like little lead pellets. No, thanks, I've heard the stories of eels and squirrels.

My mom's mom made a decent meatball and pretty nice sunday gravy. I don't remember her ever cooking anything else, really.

Thinking about this...I feel neglected
Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
oh....no...

My dad's mom was an awful cook. I recall raw chicken and strufoli like little lead pellets. No, thanks, I've heard the stories of eels and squirrels.

My mom's mom made a decent meatball and pretty nice sunday gravy. I don't remember her ever cooking anything else, really.

awww - don't feel neglected - I don't know that I actually remember much about my Grandma other than I knew it had to have been her that taught my mother how to cook these Hungarian dishes! I remember them both in the kitchen and it wasn't pretty!!! I remember bits and tidbits. Mostly I remember how much my mother and her hated each other

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I would want my Grandma's Chicken Paprikas with Austrian dumplings - or her cauliflower casserole - or her Potica - or kolachky with all different fillings - ok, I'll stop
I'll make potica for you, Vicky. Do you want nut or apple?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #47
Head Chef

never saw my granny cook anything ...
spent a lot of time with her also ..
never saw her cook one thing ..
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #48
Assistant Cook

My Gramma made turkey stew with dumplings....loved it, but she cooked turkey legs ALL the time! My Grampa would groan & moan...."..turkey this...turkey that...I'm going to sprout *bleepin'* feathers!". LOL.

Ohhh....one thing she made that I LOVED! Bacon wrapped water chestnuts, soaked in soya sauce, then baked....my God, I forgot about that!!

Gonna bake some TOMORROW!!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

ginger, try putting a shrimp in with the soy sauced water chestnuts in the bacon. yummmm!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
oh....no...

VB; C'mon over. I'll be your grandpa. My wife will be at my side and she can be your grandma. Oh, wait, I'm not old enough yet. But I'll cook like one for ya. Whatcha want first, Honey Smacks, or half a cold grapefruit with sugar on top? I got the poached egg pan out, and the waffle iron. And no worries, I won't go trying to hide an aspirin in your food because you're so skinny you must be sick, or anemic, or something, like my grandma always did to me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote