"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #51
Executive Chef
Thanks, Goodweed! It's funny, the memories I have of my grandparents. My father's parents barely spoke english...it was something called broken english. My grandmother believed babies came from eating too much watermelon. I am not making that up. My grandfather could break a 2x4 with his bare hands and made wine in his basement.

My mother's parents were first generation born here, so they spoke english. My grandmother was a hypochondriac with a penchant for tall tales, and my grandfather was one of the best men I'd ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was a barber who had his own shop. I remember a huge stuffed animal he brought to the hospital when I was 6 and had my appendix removed. He made a wonderful pineapple upside down cake and called me ' monkey'. Oh, how I miss that man.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #52
Head Chef
Oh my goodness, some of you have taken me back through sixty nine years. My maternal grardmother had to have been born in the 1870s I guess and yes - fried chicken and don't spare the lard, biscuits, greens, mashed potatoes by hand of course with that old time gravy (oh my). Change the huckleberry pie to apple probably or peach or black berry. The home made peach ice cream was for later in the afternoon with me doing as much of the cranking as my little arms would allow.
You really took me back, Thanks
And - I almost forgot - my daughter loved my mother's brown sugar pie! Daughter had saved the recipe from the old recipe box and I learned to make it for her and do occasionally.

Amy, I just read through some more of the posts - yours made history live for us. Thanks

David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote