If Your Grandmother could cook you a meal ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COULD COOK YOU A MEAL....

What would it be????

I would only want three things....Fried Chicken, Biscuits, and Huckleberry Cobbler for dessert!!

That's a tough one, Bob. My grandma was always cooking and/or baking. She came from Hungary to the US (probably through Ellis Island - not sure, as she would tell me stories about how she dressed like a man & travelled underground? to come to the USA - flee from Hungary), & made everything from scratch - best I can recall. She kept a kosher home, & I remember her leaving the burner/pilot light on on Friday for religious reasons. Still, she managed to prepare humungous meals & cooked for an army, lol. Don't know if I have the correct words in English for some of the dishes I loved, but here a few. Flanken(?) - a meat dish with potatoes, onions & carrots - cooked on top of the stove w gravy/juices & very tender. Chicken - was cooked in a pot on the stove (not packaged - but a fresh whole chicken) & was served as a main dish or chicken soup w matzo balls or knaidlach w a meat filling served in homemade chicken soup or pan fried. Homemade knishes - potato and/or liver & onions was another fave. Rugalach - a cookie I helped making - with raisins, cinnamin & walnuts. Kugel, stuffed cabbage, chopped liver. She also served borscht & gefilte fish - not sure if it was made from scratch. A dish similar to pierogies - but called Kreplach. Potato pancakes. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Back then, the women were the cooks, & the men expected to be "served." As a child, gowing up, I do recall concentration camp numbers on my friend's parents arms. I only mention this because, cooking/history & generations that came before us, have an influence on our cooking & long gone recipes. I miss Sundays - with cream cheese lox & bagels & jelly donuts, going to the corner store on the Lower East side of manhattan & picking up white fish - reading the Sunday NY Times & nibbling. Great memories. Thanks, Bob.

Last edited:
I would want my Grandma's Chicken Paprikas with Austrian dumplings - or her cauliflower casserole - or her Potica - or kolachky with all different fillings - ok, I'll stop :LOL:

My grandma was Italian, so I got Italian meals, I also remember her cooking roast chicken with potatoes with it in the oven.

oh....no...

My dad's mom was an awful cook. I recall raw chicken and strufoli like little lead pellets. No, thanks, I've heard the stories of eels and squirrels.

My mom's mom made a decent meatball and pretty nice sunday gravy. I don't remember her ever cooking anything else, really.

Thinking about this...I feel neglected:huh:

oh....no...

My dad's mom was an awful cook. I recall raw chicken and strufoli like little lead pellets. No, thanks, I've heard the stories of eels and squirrels.

My mom's mom made a decent meatball and pretty nice sunday gravy. I don't remember her ever cooking anything else, really.

awww - don't feel neglected - I don't know that I actually remember much about my Grandma other than I knew it had to have been her that taught my mother how to cook these Hungarian dishes! I remember them both in the kitchen and it wasn't pretty!!! I remember bits and tidbits. Mostly I remember how much my mother and her hated each other :LOL:

never saw my granny cook anything ...
spent a lot of time with her also ..
never saw her cook one thing ..

My Gramma made turkey stew with dumplings....loved it, but she cooked turkey legs ALL the time! My Grampa would groan & moan...."..turkey this...turkey that...I'm going to sprout *bleepin'* feathers!". LOL.

Ohhh....one thing she made that I LOVED! Bacon wrapped water chestnuts, soaked in soya sauce, then baked....my God, I forgot about that!!

Gonna bake some TOMORROW!! :excl:

oh....no...

VB; C'mon over. I'll be your grandpa. My wife will be at my side and she can be your grandma. Oh, wait, I'm not old enough yet. But I'll cook like one for ya.:LOL: Whatcha want first, Honey Smacks, or half a cold grapefruit with sugar on top? I got the poached egg pan out, and the waffle iron. And no worries, I won't go trying to hide an aspirin in your food because you're so skinny you must be sick, or anemic, or something, like my grandma always did to me.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks, Goodweed! It's funny, the memories I have of my grandparents. My father's parents barely spoke english...it was something called broken english. My grandmother believed babies came from eating too much watermelon. I am not making that up. My grandfather could break a 2x4 with his bare hands and made wine in his basement.

My mother's parents were first generation born here, so they spoke english. My grandmother was a hypochondriac with a penchant for tall tales, and my grandfather was one of the best men I'd ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was a barber who had his own shop. I remember a huge stuffed animal he brought to the hospital when I was 6 and had my appendix removed. He made a wonderful pineapple upside down cake and called me ' monkey'. Oh, how I miss that man.

Oh my goodness, some of you have taken me back through sixty nine years. My maternal grardmother had to have been born in the 1870s I guess and yes - fried chicken and don't spare the lard, biscuits, greens, mashed potatoes by hand of course with that old time gravy (oh my). Change the huckleberry pie to apple probably or peach or black berry. The home made peach ice cream was for later in the afternoon with me doing as much of the cranking as my little arms would allow.
You really took me back, Thanks
And - I almost forgot - my daughter loved my mother's brown sugar pie! Daughter had saved the recipe from the old recipe box and I learned to make it for her and do occasionally.

Amy, I just read through some more of the posts - yours made history live for us. Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom