I'm back home again :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
Hi everyone!

We arrived back from our 3 weeks of vacation in England at 2am this morning. It was wonderful to be able to see all our relatives again - my little niece has grown so much!! LOL!

It's also good to be back in my own kitchen again - I had taken a couple of my favourite recipe books with me so I could do some cooking for ourselves and our families, but hadn't reckoned on our relative's kitchens being so ill-equipped....there were no sharp knives anywhere to be found, and I ended up secretly attacking both my MiL and BiL's knives with my nail file to sharpen them LOL! I hadn't realised how much I took good equipment for granted until I tried to cook with cheap pots & pans and blunt knives - not to mention the total lack of dishwashers and waste disposal units. No-one seemed to have any 'staple' ingredients either - I think my BiL had salt, pepper and garlic powder, and that was it. It became too expensive to cook much ourselves, as I was having to buy all the herbs & spices I needed for every meal. Our relatives are very much 'meat & 2 veg' people, but they did enjoy the 4 meals I did manage to cook for them. My MiL insisted on cooking us Christmas dinner and a couple of sunday dinners, even though she is riddled with arthritis. The dinners were nice - but the washing up afterwards wasn't :ermm: My DH and I had to brace ourselves as my MiL tends to use every pot and pan in the house when she cooks, then she dunks everything in the sink with cold water, so you have this yukky cold, greasy, scummy mess to try and deal with....It took DH and I over an hour to wash up after each dinner she cooked - I don't think my husband has ever been so 'domesticated' in his life before :rolleyes:

Eating out was very, very, expensive - so much of the time we lived on sandwiches and 'fish & chips', with a couple of chinese take-outs thrown in. Both DH and I are really looking forward to some healthy, home-cooked meals now that we are back in our own house :chef:

Happy New Year,
Paint.

Welcome back, Paint! I've been missing you - if I knew you were going away, I forgot :ermm: Glad you had a good time - enjoy YOUR home cooking!! :)

Glad you're back Paint..While nice to visit, home is where the heart is:) Glad to see you..

kadesma

Hello Paint.

Goodness, your families seem to be really ill-equipped, don't they? I don't know anyone without at least a dishwasher! But, I do remember how awful it was to have to do the washing up, by hand, after a full British Sunday roast!

Eating out IS expensive here. My sister almost has a heart attack each time she visits from Australia. When I go there I am AMAZED at how cheap it is to eat at the restaurants that they all think so expensive!!:mrgreen:

Welcome home Paint!!!

My understanding goes out to you, we don't have a dishwasher or garbage disposal either. I always try and rinse greasy pans as soon as I can under very hot water, that sludge you mentioned is a nightmare (in terms of dish cleaning that is) and it tends to addere to rubber gloves. Some of the food and the expenses apart I hope that you had a terrrific time on the other side of the pond :)

welcome back, Paint. Sorry about your food experiences whilst in England.

Sometimes you have to take the people over the food that's put out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom