I'm fixing dinner and need your help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I made Michelemarie's Mac & Cheese last night and had quite a lot of the sauce left over. I'm needing help with the topping for the dish I've put together. Here's what I've done:

I cut up some idaho potatoes into bite size chunks and boiled them till they were for tender.

I boiled some fresh broccoli flowerets till they still had a bite to them.

I defrosted some baked ham that I'd saved from the last baked ham I fixed. I cut that into bite size pieces also.

I sauted some yellow onion, that i diced in some EVOO.

In a large bowl I put all the above and the cheese mixture. I added some more freshly ground black pepper and a small pinch of ground nutmeg.

Now here's what I need help with. I want a bread crumb topping. I have some bread crumbs in a container.......do I need to do anything to these before putting them on the dish? Do I add a little butter, S & P to them?

Everything is already heated through. I just need to add the topping and put it under the broiler so the topping can brown.

You could toss the crumbs with some grated parm or romano and butter. The cheese will add flavor and the butter will help the crumbs brown.

I like a little butter on my bread crumbs to help them get brown. Either melt some and mix it into your crumbs before topping, or go ahead and top and then spray with some olive oil.

I do the same as mudbug and just drizzle the crumbs with a little melted butter, and then salt and pepper them. Sprinkle on top.

abjcooking said:
I do the same as mudbug and just drizzle the crumbs with a little melted butter, and then salt and pepper them. Sprinkle on top.

Thats what I ended up doing. The dish was already really cheesy so I decided against adding cheese to the crumbs. I sneeked a peek and its really good! I'm def. going to write this down and fix it again in the future.

Sizz, when you don't have breadcrumbs the following work quite well too:

crushed Fritos or potato chips (no extra fat needed)
crushed saltines
one of those cans of french-fried onion rings that you put on The Casserole (if you can resist eating them out of the can first)
crushed Corn Chex
crushed nacho chips

Back
Top Bottom