"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #21
Hospitality Queen

I'm out there enough that I get really good deals at the hotels. All 6 nights total is under $200. More $$$ for the blackjack tables.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #22
Head Chef

Well.... I hope you have lotsa luck when you're here. Maybe we can meet.

I gotta run for now. I'll talk to you later. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #23
Head Chef

Another thing to try if you have the time... Try taking some cooking classes. I did this here in Denver and it was a blast. As with most things, I learned first that I didn't know as much as I thought I did, but I started picking up new things right from the first class in the series. I took a class at the Cook Street Culinary School in their recreational cooking curriculum titled: Classic Techniques: Essentials, one evening a week for 4 weeks. We had 16 students in the class, all with same goals in mind... to have fun and improve their personal cooking skills. We got to eat what we cooked , and we got to sample and compare a nice selection of old world and new world wines too. What I learned in the class inspired me to put on a feast for my family last Saturday... I had a blast spending most of the day in the kitchen cooking and the meal was a hit. I plan to follow up with some more classes, and more good meals.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #24
Head Chef

Thanks for the idea RP... I have looked at classes before, usually aiming to improve my 'ethnic' techniques... but maybe the classic would be a good idea, too.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Also, where have you been eating out at? I would recommend eating more often at upscale restaurants (in Vegas this shouldn't be a problem) because it may inspire you to try and re-create or modify dishes that you liked in the restaurant.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
where have you been eating out at?
Well I usually eat at reasonably priced places with the best food I can find (Thai, BBQ, Mexican, Soulfood diner style places with eyes-rolling-back food). I often find that I am happy to defer to their expertise. I really don't like the 'upscale' places that much... usually too high on pretense and $$$.

I believe I am more motivated and inspired by social events (and am intrigued by the cooking classes idea, too). I do appreciate your suggestion, thank you, but I don't think that would work that well for me.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin
Another thing to try if you have the time... Try taking some cooking classes. I did this here in Denver and it was a blast. As with most things, I learned first that I didn't know as much as I thought I did, but I started picking up new things right from the first class in the series. I took a class at the Cook Street Culinary School in their recreational cooking curriculum titled: Classic Techniques: Essentials, one evening a week for 4 weeks. We had 16 students in the class, all with same goals in mind... to have fun and improve their personal cooking skills. We got to eat what we cooked , and we got to sample and compare a nice selection of old world and new world wines too. What I learned in the class inspired me to put on a feast for my family last Saturday... I had a blast spending most of the day in the kitchen cooking and the meal was a hit. I plan to follow up with some more classes, and more good meals.
i'm taking a cooking class this month. a wine tasting class, too. i took wine tasting and German classes before and had the best time.
the only things is the cost. it cost me $234.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:57 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs_food
i'm taking a cooking class this month. a wine tasting class, too. i took wine tasting and German classes before and had the best time.
the only things is the cost. it cost me $234.
My class, 4 sessions at 3-1/2 hours per session, was $389. If I take the other 3 classes in the Classic Techniques series (French menus, Italian menus, and Sauces and Soups), they are $189 each, and each is two evenings. The school also offers good variety of other specialty classes and several wine classes and other events. They have a series called Taste 5, where each class you have 5 wines paired with 5 foods to help gain experience in choosing and appreciating various New and Old World wines. The Taste 5 evenings are only $39 and are set up more like a cocktail party. The next class I will probably take will be Knife Skills, one evening for $89.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #29
Master Chef

my cooking class is 4 weeks long, one session per week, 3 hours each.
wine tasting is 2 1/2 hours long, 6 sessions.
if i had gotten to take the cooking class i wanted to (it was all booked up by the time i called) it would have cost another $49.
i wanted to take a bartending/mixology course, but it was booked, too.
Z, you really ought to look into some non-credit cooking courses! they're awsome and you get to meet new people with similar interests. plus it will probably inspire you to want to cook!
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #30
Master Chef

When I get into a cooking rut, I go to my local gourmet grocer and look at the various offerings, and buy a jar of something that I never would think of buying. Take it home a build a meal around it.