I'm makin Maid Rites for dinner, You cookin? 3/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds a lot like what is called Krystals here, but they are shaped into little square burger shapes. I'm not fond of them, tho. If I'm going to eat hamburger, I want a real one, cooked on the grill. Many people like Krystal burgers ALOT.

I'm making pizza (with the leftover Pillsbury pizza dough I got for the cancelled Pampered Chef party) topped with ham (will not say Canadian bacon) and pepperoni, with a large green salad

buckytom said:
yup, but that's why you're supposed to use the best quality ground meat.

there's a slew of recipes out there that have slight additions for that special flavor, but no one seems to be able to nail down an original recipe, except high quality steamed beef and s&p.

Yea but I use 90% lean beef and still get some water and fat from it.

texasgirl said:
your right, James is a very nice person. Him and Barbara are both very sweet!! I'm glad that you see the joke now. I didn't realize you weren't familiar with them or I wouldn't have teased you like that.:LOL:

tease away sweetheart, I'm a toughie. I can take it!:flowers:

Just as an FYI, this house smells wonderful. I only hope the taste meets up with the smell.................fingers crossed:ohmy:

Last edited:
i was flipping channels last night, and on the travel channel was a bit about maid rites.
the story goes that in a small diner in muscatine iowa, the first loose meat sandwhich was created in a hurry for a busy mailman. after enjoying it, the mailman proclaimed that the sandwich was just "made right". well, the diner cook couldn't spell well, and maid rites were born.

they are simple high quality ground beef, browned in a giant skillet/wok looking thing, then a packet of simple premixed spices are stirred in, including salt, sugar, and onion powder.

the fat is drained off, at first from the giant skillets, then again using a perforated scoop, where it is overloaded onto a soft bun. 3 or 4 squirts each of ketchup and mustard, 2 pickle slices, and there you have it.

buckytom said:
i was flipping channels last night, and on the travel channel was a bit about maid rites.
the story goes that in a small diner in muscatine iowa, the first loose meat sandwhich was created in a hurry for a busy mailman. after enjoying it, the mailman proclaimed that the sandwich was just "made right". well, the diner cook couldn't spell well, and maid rites were born.

they are simple high quality ground beef, browned in a giant skillet/wok looking thing, then a packet of simple premixed spices are stirred in, including salt, sugar, and onion powder.

the fat is drained off, at first from the giant skillets, then again using a perforated scoop, where it is overloaded onto a soft bun. 3 or 4 squirts each of ketchup and mustard, 2 pickle slices, and there you have it.

BuckyTom, you are exactly correct. I saw the same show as I love that channel and all it brings to the table, so to speak.

Long story not worth boring you all with, is that they turned out okay, not wonderful, not great, but were good. DH loved them. Next time, many less ingredients will go into said huge pot and then we'll keep fingers crossed for the perfect MaidRite. ole!:-p

It's steamed ground beef, served on a steamed bun with mustard and sometimes onion. The sandwich is then briefly grilled on each side.

Back
Top Bottom