"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Executive Chef

I'm makin Maid Rites for dinner, You cookin? 3/7

http://dgroups.bhg.com/n/pfx/forum.a...tag=cooktocook

OR

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1726,...224206,00.html

These sound so good to me so hamburger is already defrosting for later on tonight. There are many variations so I think I'll do the usual with me and combine all the ingredients suggested on the different posts. Anyone here ever made Maid Rites? If so, sharing the recipe would be appreciated. The more authentic the better.

Last nights' dinner was lacking as the main dish was soggy and icky. I must have done something wrong. I did email Paula Deen so I'll see what she says about her recipe and what I goofed at.

With dinner tonight adding to the Maid Rites, I'll make a sour cream/cream cheese/mozzarella cheese/garlic mashed pote sidedish and string beans steamed, adding butter, parmesan cheese salt pep and garlic powder. Yesterday I baked off the rest of the Pfferneusse cookies and came out with 6 for dunking in coffee. With whipped cream, DH will have them for dessert.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

Ummm, did you ask Barbara's permission first???
J/K!! LOL

Not sure what we will have yet.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I"ve never had them and had never heard of it til I came to this site. Isn't it just a variation of a hamburger?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

[quote=texasgirl]Ummm, did you ask Barbara's permission first???
J/K!! LOL

umm, who's Barbara?

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I"ve never had them and had never heard of it til I came to this site. Isn't it just a variation of a hamburger?
Yep, it's a hamburger meat that is slow cooked/steamed < some say, with ingredients added and placed on a very soft steamed bun. I saw it being featured on foodtv network perhaps, maybe 'the Best of' or 'FoodFinds' or maybe a travel show, anyway, I knew I wanted to make them when I first heard of them. Plus, I know Dh will love them. It's his type of food

Oh ooops! I just looked up pet peeves on general discussions and saw that someone on here had that screen name. I PM'd him/her hoping to get a recipe for Maid Rites. How funny...........thanks for helping me guys. I don't get out much hahhah
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Master Chef

Barbara is Maidrites wife on here. I thought everyone knew who Maidrite and Barbars was. Sorry.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Head Chef

LEFSElover, Maidrite is a member here - and Barbara is his wife. She's a member here, too. texasgirl was just kidding.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Master Chef

The original Maidrite is about 5 miles down the road from us. They used to have several stands in southern Illinois, but now I think it's the only one.
The meat is steamed with salt and pepper, and available with or without onions, and served on a steamed bun as mentioned above.
Be sure to get your meat crumbled into tiny pieces, which you can do by mashing it around in the colander with the back of your spoon while steaming it.
I like mine with mustard.
Don't try to dress it up too much...it is what it is. Be sure and use a good quality ground beef for it, though.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
The original Maidrite is about 5 miles down the road from us. They used to have several stands in southern Illinois, but now I think it's the only one.
The meat is steamed with salt and pepper, and available with or without onions, and served on a steamed bun as mentioned above.
Be sure to get your meat crumbled into tiny pieces, which you can do by mashing it around in the colander with the back of your spoon while steaming it.
I like mine with mustard.
Don't try to dress it up too much...it is what it is. Be sure and use a good quality ground beef for it, though.
Constance, you're a doll, but then I already knew that. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm defrosting 86%, is that kind okay? And do you think I should use the recipe suggesting oats in the ingredient list? I think not.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul has a dinner meeting and won't be home until 10 or so.. So I won't have to cook for him tonight.

David may come over to wash some clothes. If he does I'm going to make some French toast for us.

If not... I'll warm up some leftover split pea soup from last night. It turned out really good!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

maid rites sound similar to sloppy joes to me. There is a brand of sauce by Manwich that you mix with ground hamburger and serve over warm hamburger buns.

Dinner for us will be a chicken curry for my husband and daughter, and something with shrimp for me ( I dont care for curry).