I'm makin Maid Rites for dinner, You cookin? 3/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
http://dgroups.bhg.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=3540&webtag=cooktocook

OR

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1726,154161-224206,00.html

These sound so good to me so hamburger is already defrosting for later on tonight. There are many variations so I think I'll do the usual with me and combine all the ingredients suggested on the different posts. Anyone here ever made Maid Rites? If so, sharing the recipe would be appreciated. The more authentic the better.

Last nights' dinner was lacking as the main dish was soggy and icky. I must have done something wrong. I did email Paula Deen so I'll see what she says about her recipe and what I goofed at.

With dinner tonight adding to the Maid Rites, I'll make a sour cream/cream cheese/mozzarella cheese/garlic mashed pote sidedish and string beans steamed, adding butter, parmesan cheese salt pep and garlic powder. Yesterday I baked off the rest of the Pfferneusse cookies and came out with 6 for dunking in coffee. With whipped cream, DH will have them for dessert.

Last edited:
I"ve never had them and had never heard of it til I came to this site. Isn't it just a variation of a hamburger?

texasgirl said:
Ummm, did you ask Barbara's permission first???
J/K!! LOL

umm, who's Barbara?:(

licia said:
I"ve never had them and had never heard of it til I came to this site. Isn't it just a variation of a hamburger?

Yep, it's a hamburger meat that is slow cooked/steamed < some say, with ingredients added and placed on a very soft steamed bun. I saw it being featured on foodtv network perhaps, maybe 'the Best of' or 'FoodFinds' or maybe a travel show, anyway, I knew I wanted to make them when I first heard of them.:wacko: Plus, I know Dh will love them. It's his type of food:-p

Oh ooops!:ROFLMAO: I just looked up pet peeves on general discussions and saw that someone on here had that screen name. I PM'd him/her hoping to get a recipe for Maid Rites. How funny...........thanks for helping me guys. I don't get out much:flowers: :brows: hahhah

Last edited:
LEFSElover, Maidrite is a member here - and Barbara is his wife. She's a member here, too. texasgirl was just kidding. :)

The original Maidrite is about 5 miles down the road from us. They used to have several stands in southern Illinois, but now I think it's the only one.
The meat is steamed with salt and pepper, and available with or without onions, and served on a steamed bun as mentioned above.
Be sure to get your meat crumbled into tiny pieces, which you can do by mashing it around in the colander with the back of your spoon while steaming it.
I like mine with mustard.
Don't try to dress it up too much...it is what it is. Be sure and use a good quality ground beef for it, though.

Constance said:
The original Maidrite is about 5 miles down the road from us. They used to have several stands in southern Illinois, but now I think it's the only one.
The meat is steamed with salt and pepper, and available with or without onions, and served on a steamed bun as mentioned above.
Be sure to get your meat crumbled into tiny pieces, which you can do by mashing it around in the colander with the back of your spoon while steaming it.
I like mine with mustard.
Don't try to dress it up too much...it is what it is. Be sure and use a good quality ground beef for it, though.

Constance, you're a doll, but then I already knew that. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm defrosting 86%, is that kind okay? And do you think I should use the recipe suggesting oats in the ingredient list? I think not.

Paul has a dinner meeting and won't be home until 10 or so.. So I won't have to cook for him tonight.

David may come over to wash some clothes. If he does I'm going to make some French toast for us.

If not... I'll warm up some leftover split pea soup from last night. It turned out really good!

maid rites sound similar to sloppy joes to me. There is a brand of sauce by Manwich that you mix with ground hamburger and serve over warm hamburger buns.

Dinner for us will be a chicken curry for my husband and daughter, and something with shrimp for me ( I dont care for curry).

amber, they are close to a sloppy joe, but no gravy, just a sort of natural jus from the steaming. i've had them in the quad cities on the mighty miss.. they're fantastic.

while des moines is the corp hq for maidrites, www.maidrite.com, i've heard of few places lay claim to their invention, including davenport.

i'm not sure what we're having tonight. i went to a farmer's market yesterday and loaded up (4lbs of stringbeans for a buck, 5 artichokes for a buck, a huge head of 'scarole for a buck, a giant jar of annato seed for $1.50, etc.). also, i hit a halal meat market (lol, hey babe, nice burqa) and got some ground beef and lamb steaks, so i may make something with them.

Bucky, natural jus from steaming it sounds :sick: to me, but then again I have never tried it. Wouldnt that mostly be water and fat from the beef?

yup, but that's why you're supposed to use the best quality ground meat.

there's a slew of recipes out there that have slight additions for that special flavor, but no one seems to be able to nail down an original recipe, except high quality steamed beef and s&p.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: LEFSE. i don't think it is very polite of you to cook james- james & barbara may get a little upset.:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

DH won't be here for dinner and I've eaten lentil soup for lunch the last 2 days til it is gone. I may have to cook something. I was thinking about going up to the seafood place and get a plate, but don't really want to leave the house again til I get some of the mess I've made cleaned up. I'm cleaning the pantry and some closets and it looks worse before it gets better. I may have bacon and eggs.

i was thinking of some sort of ground beef dish. something with sage in it.

luvs_food said:
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: LEFSE. i don't think it is very polite of you to cook james- james & barbara may get a little upset.:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

ahhahah...............MR.MaidRite has PM'd me twice with good advice. Very nice kind person for certain...You all are soooo ahead of me.:LOL:

LEFSElover said:
ahhahah...............MR.MaidRite has PM'd me twice with good advice. Very nice kind person for certain...You all are soooo ahead of me.:LOL:

your right, James is a very nice person. Him and Barbara are both very sweet!! I'm glad that you see the joke now. I didn't realize you weren't familiar with them or I wouldn't have teased you like that.:LOL:

LEFSElover said:
Constance, you're a doll, but then I already knew that. Thank you so much for helping me out. I'm defrosting 86%, is that kind okay? And do you think I should use the recipe suggesting oats in the ingredient list? I think not.

Sure, 86% sounds great. I would definately not use the oatmeal. From those recipes listed, here's the one I'd use:

Maid Rites

2 T. oil
1-1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 (14-oz.) can clear chicken broth

In large skillet brown ground beef in oil using a back of a fork to crumble. Brown until no longer pink in color. Add onion and broth. Simmer on very low heat until most of the broth has been absorbed. Ladle on buns, then top with yellow mustard and dill pickle chips.

Amber, it may sound like a sloppy Joe, but it's not really not supposed to be. A Maidrite is basically just steamed ground beef without all the added goodies. It sounds plain, and you're tempted to doctor it up, but it has a good beefy flavor just as it is.

HB picked a bag of Maidrites on the way home from work not long ago, and we had them for supper. I ate 2 and he ate 4. :pig:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom