"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Improvising - we've all done it!

Many of you know I just don't have the inclination to cook during the week. Unfortunately, I have discovered it is still necessary to fuel the machine. It's funny that way.

I had a busy day, lots of catering. I also had a late afternoon manicure/pedicure appointment. I didn't get home till 6:30 (I start work at 6:45am) and wasn't prepared to forage till 7pm.

Call me ol' Mother Hubbard, for the cupboard was bare.....sort of.

Taking stock, I discovered half a package of frozen steak'um things. There were 4 questionably dated slices of potato bread and 2 even more questionable slices of provolone cheese. I had 1/3 jar vinegar pepper slices.

I toasted 2 slices of bread, nuked the meat thing and then melted the cheese on top. I placed this on the toast and topped with the peppers.

Viola, cheesesteak! sort of. I wish I lived closer to Tony Lukes...

What's your best improvisation...?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Everymom

Well I improvised lemon herb chicken tonight (normally bbq this, but its too wet and cold today), and thought I would thicken the lemon marinade and cook it for a sauce. Um...no. Bad mistake. MUCH too lemony. Blech.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ramen noodles with bagged frozen veg(carrots, peas, brocc,)and steak scraps. Cheap pho.

Perhaps not the "Best" improv, I'ld have to think on that, there have been quite a few happy accidents. They seem to come best after a night of "special waters" and you get hungry, but everything for delivery/carry out is closed.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Improvised tonight since I was as beat as you from work, except I would have loved to be pampered with a manicure/pedicure appointment afterwards. I rested for half hour, took some wonderful medication for anxiety and stress and made a quick lasagna with ground beef, Prego sauce and packaged shredded mozzarella cheese. Threw everything together and voila! Dinner's done!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I would say my two best improvs are ramen noodles with an egg poached in them when they are almost done (or you can stir for an egg drop soup effect) then I pour some Tiger Sauce in it - if I have it I will add cilantro and lime.

My other favorite - I think someone on here posted it and it has saved me from passing out a time or two when I was starving!!! Make some kind of noodle (I usually have angel hair). When aldente toss with some cottage cheese, garlic powder, and parsley and nuke to melt the cottage cheese - I was amazed at how good it was and it has the carbs AND protein.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Ok, this is really bad... but I was making broccoli cheese soup and I normally use milk, (rec. calls for heavy cream, but milk suits just fine) but happened to be out that day and I had already started to make the soup. I am sure it would have been fine without the milk, but instead I took a 2 tblsp of plain yogurt and diluted it with 2 tblsp of water..... guess in hind sight I really did not need to do all that, but I felt it was important!!!!

Just call me goofy! I guess it is crazy when you want something so bad that you will improvise on the ingredients.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
My other favorite - I think someone on here posted it and it has saved me from passing out a time or two when I was starving!!! Make some kind of noodle (I usually have angel hair). When aldente toss with some cottage cheese, garlic powder, and parsley and nuke to melt the cottage cheese - I was amazed at how good it was and it has the carbs AND protein.
I can't believe there's someone else out there that likes this "in a pinch" dish. I boil broad egg noodles, add butter S&P, then mix in cold cottage cheese -- no nuking though. Next time I may add some diced tomatoes. This was one of my grandma's concoctions. It's comfort food to me.