In Need of a Name Shredded Beef Twice Baked Sour Dough Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make this dish every News Years Day. I cannot remember where I found it or where the original recipe came from. I do know it dates back over 25 years ago when we still lived in Iowa. I can remember trying to find sour dough bread in a town with no bakery, just an HY-V who only sold enriched sliced white bread. Over the years this dish has undergone many changes and this year is no exception. I used my Christmas present Penzeys Spices to season the meat. I also used my crock pot to start the meat and was very happy with the results so will continue with that method. I have an older two-setting crock pot so the recipe shows the two settings. For the cheese I recommend a really good quality Aged Monterey Jack otherwise the flavor will be lost with the seasonings in the meat and the sour dough. I have tried other cheese but prefer this one.
This dish has no name that I know of. I need help in naming it. Any suggestions you may have will be most appreciated.
1 ½ to 2 pound boneless beef roast. I use a chuck roast
1 loaf round sour dough bread
1 can chicken broth
1 Vidalia onion
1 green pepper
½ pound Aged Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 tbsp. Penzeys 300 BBQ spice
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. flour
Slice onions and place in a skillet with a splash of olive oil and spices. Cook onions until they begin to become transparent- do not overcook. Push aside. Sprinkle flour over the meat and brown in the skillet. Place onions and meat in Crock Pot along with chicken broth. Cook on high for 2 hours and low for 3 hours.
Slice the top from the bottom of the bread. Scoop out making a bowl in each half. (I freeze this bread and save for making dressing at a later date.) Slice the green peppers into long thin slices. Slice the cheese. Remove the meat and onions from the crock pot and shred the meat, then mix it with the onions and a small amount of the juice remaining in the pot. Fill the bottom half of the bread bowl with the meat and onion mixture, mounding it up, pour a small amount of juice over the top. Cover it with a layer of green pepper and cheese. Put the top of the bread back on and push down tightly. You do not want any mixture leaking out during baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to rest before slicing. Use the remainder of the juice for serving. I do not thicken the juice into a gravy but allow it to soak into the bread.

Please help me name this dish!

Attachments

• Craig's list 002-550.jpg
    Craig's list 002-550.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 226
I make this dish every News Years Day. I cannot remember where I found it or where the original recipe came from. I do know it dates back over 25 years ago when we still lived in Iowa. I can remember trying to find sour dough bread in a town with no bakery, just an HY-V who only sold enriched sliced white bread. Over the years this dish has undergone many changes and this year is no exception. I used my Christmas present Penzeys Spices to season the meat. I also used my crock pot to start the meat and was very happy with the results so will continue with that method. I have an older two-setting crock pot so the recipe shows the two settings. For the cheese I recommend a really good quality Aged Monterey Jack otherwise the flavor will be lost with the seasonings in the meat and the sour dough. I have tried other cheese but prefer this one.
This dish has no name that I know of. I need help in naming it. Any suggestions you may have will be most appreciated.
1 ½ to 2 pound boneless beef roast. I use a chuck roast
1 loaf round sour dough bread
1 can chicken broth
1 Vidalia onion
1 green pepper
½ pound Aged Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 tbsp. Penzeys 300 BBQ spice
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. flour
Slice onions and place in a skillet with a splash of olive oil and spices. Cook onions until they begin to become transparent- do not overcook. Push aside. Sprinkle flour over the meat and brown in the skillet. Place onions and meat in Crock Pot along with chicken broth. Cook on high for 2 hours and low for 3 hours.
Slice the top from the bottom of the bread. Scoop out making a bowl in each half. (I freeze this bread and save for making dressing at a later date.) Slice the green peppers into long thin slices. Slice the cheese. Remove the meat and onions from the crock pot and shred the meat, then mix it with the onions and a small amount of the juice remaining in the pot. Fill the bottom half of the bread bowl with the meat and onion mixture, mounding it up, pour a small amount of juice over the top. Cover it with a layer of green pepper and cheese. Put the top of the bread back on and push down tightly. You do not want any mixture leaking out during baking. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to rest before slicing. Use the remainder of the juice for serving. I do not thicken the juice into a gravy but allow it to soak into the bread.

Please help me name this dish!

That sounds so good. I have a question I have asked many times before in many different places and still have not received a answer. Why do you use Chicken Broth in a Beef Dish?

How about "Sourdough Beef Loaf"?

That sounds so good. I have a question I have asked many times before in many different places and still have not received a answer. Why do you use Chicken Broth in a Beef Dish?

How about "Sourdough Beef Loaf"?

One vote for Sour Dough Beef Loaf. Ok, I use chicken broth because beef broth tends to taste salty to me. The Chicken broth does not add any other taste to the dish but does help enhance the flavors which are already there while the beef broth gives it a saty taste. Others may have a more cooks reason than mine. I learned my cooking, as I say, from the "hearth stone."

Definitely use the Heavenly ... or Heavenly Stuffed Sourdough Loaf? I am terribly lacking in the creativity or wit department, but if it were my recipe, I'd want sourdough in the title so it's not lost or subbed out through the generations. That looks like a keeper and will surely be passed on to those who have enjoyed it all these years. :)

Heavenly Sourdough Shredded Beef and Cheese Bread

Heavenly Sourdough Beef and Cheese Bread

Kent's Heavenly Sourdough Beef and Cheese Bread

Heavenly Stuffed Beef and Cheese Sourdough Bread

Back
Top Bottom