"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Anyone catch the latest episode of Bobby Flay getting his butt handed to him on a platter in "Battle: Goat Cheese"? I mean it wasn't even close. Flay almost lost by double digits, 52-43. I was very impressed with the challenger. He put together some good stuff. Here's one of his restaurants in NYC:

http://www.bltfish.com/

Old 05-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I saw the end of the show. The challenger had some amazing dishes. I would not have thought to do those things with goat cheese!

Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #33
Executive Chef

any one care to elaborate on what he did with goat cheese?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
any one care to elaborate on what he did with goat cheese?
I can't remember all of it. I know he did a soup, a souffle, a panzanella, and a risotto.

Here's the current records of the chefs in Iron Chef America. Keep in mind that Flay's record is somewhat padded through inferior competition and ingredient familiarity. Except for Rick Bayless, I believe that Flay has lost to every "name" competitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Chef_America_stats
Old 05-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #35
Contest Winner

I've never understood why Bobby Flay was chosen as an Iron Chef. I do think he creates some interesting south western style dishes, but overall I think he lacks the superior creativity that is needed to be a true "Iron Chef." He doesn't step out of his comfort zone enough, IMO.

I think Rob Feenie should be an Iron Chef! He beat out Marimoto in the crab battle and he is an absolutely amazing chef. They need a Canadian on there too! (then maybe change the name to "Iron Chef North-America" )

By the way, if anyone is ever in the Vancouver area, you MUST try Feenies. (Rob Feenie's restaurant) http://feenies.com/ The food is so good!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #36
Senior Cook

one thing i like about Flay is that he actually cooks and is hands on in his restaurants unlike most of the other FTV chefs. You gotta have respect for that......... I do anyways
Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
I've never understood why Bobby Flay was chosen as an Iron Chef. I do think he creates some interesting south western style dishes, but overall I think he lacks the superior creativity that is needed to be a true "Iron Chef." He doesn't step out of his comfort zone enough, IMO.

I think Rob Feenie should be an Iron Chef! He beat out Marimoto in the crab battle and he is an absolutely amazing chef. They need a Canadian on there too! (then maybe change the name to "Iron Chef North-America" )

By the way, if anyone is ever in the Vancouver area, you MUST try Feenies. (Rob Feenie's restaurant) http://feenies.com/ The food is so good!
I just watched that episode this week! Had a Feenies burger last year - was very impressed. Definitely good eats.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Yeah, Rob Feenie is a great one. I ate at Lumiere two years ago and had one of his degustation menus. Unbelievably good.

http://www.lumiere.ca/
Old 05-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Yeah, Rob Feenie is a great one. I ate at Lumiere two years ago and had one of his degustation menus. Unbelievably good.

http://www.lumiere.ca/
When we were at Feenie's, it was for a bachelor party'esque kinda thing and the waiter had to go to Lumiere to steal some of their fancy creme fraiche to make a special drink for us.

They were mad
Old 05-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #40
Cook

I love bobby but he really let me down on that goat cheese challange. His dishes weren't all that great I could just tell when he was cooking that it wasn't going to work out well for him. As for the challanger he was great!