"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Master Chef

I had a piece of yellow cake marbled with chocolate. That's as close as I'll get today. Had to run out tonight to get the dogs medicines so stopped by Wendy's and picked up a burger since I am home alone tonight.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Fresh Tuna and Tomato Stew.

Recipe suggested a garnish of baby courgettes but couldn't find any so did some deep fried courgette. Also had Ciabatta bread with it. Although the recipe title says 'fresh' I used some from the freezer that had really been in there too long so will try this again with proper fresh tuna.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Wow! That looks good!

I just made chicken and dumplings with steamed broccoli and melted cheddar over the broccoli and steamed frozen peas from our garden last year. The peas were wonderfully crisp and I just put butter and cracked black pepper over them.

For a dessert treat, I cut up some pears and apples in bite-sized pieces, sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice. Yum!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Macaroni cheese.

Realised when I got to the point of no return that I didn't have enough milk (forgot to put out a note for the milkman last night) but had a brainwave. I had a can of evaporated milk in the cupboard so used that for the sauce with a little water as the sauce came out a bit thick. I used a mixture of Double Gloucester cheese and Gruyere, slung in some fried smoked bacon semi-cooked broccoli and some frozen peas and a little freshly grated nutmeg. I put more mustard in the sauce than I usually do and I think it was an improvement. Ready to bake in the oven.

Made enough for today and 2-3 other meals.

Going to make a cottage pie for tomorrow. Ground beef browned in a skillet and cooked off with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs, stock. Put in an oven-proof dish, layer of sliced tomatoes on top of that and then a layer of mashed potato and parsnip on the top, roughed up with a fork and a scattering of grated cheese over the top and baked in the oven until piping hot and the top lightly browned and crisp. One pot meal. Freezes too.

If I'd used ground lamb it would have been shepherd's pie
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Hi Janet, my grandmother used to make a very good chocolate cake but it used Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate (a sort of sweetened cocoa drink) which I don't think you have and it doesn't work with ordinary cocoa. I do like the Guinness cake though, despite no being a great chocolate fan. Is it Nigella Lawson's recipe?

Your grandmothers cake sounds delicious! Regarding the Nigellas recipe - A friend gave me this recipe but who knows where it came from. I looked up Nigellas cake and it appears to be the same EXCEPT that is calls for 17 Tablespoons of butter (just over 1 Cup). I guess I should try doubling up the butter and see if it still tastes as awesome.

Tags
cake, chocolate, menu