"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Is that good to consume canned products?

Is that good for our health to consume the canned products.There will be any side effects if we consume the canned food.Usally sodium benzote is added to some of the canned products.Is that really preserve the food items.There are so many canned products such as Aparagus,Artichoke,Bamboo shoot Pineapple,cherry and so on.Why dont we use fresh food rather then using can products.Fresh food has all nutrients in it,More than its fresh.Can any one tell one valid reason to use canned products.There are so many chemicals added in to it while canning the food items to preserve them.So I feel consuming canned products often will spoil once health.Do we get required nutrients while consuming the canned products.Yes/No

Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Sous Chef

All I can say is I'm still going strong at a relatively ripe old age having consumed canned products; salt and all the other things allegedly harmful if we eat them; and I enjoy them all too!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Executive Chef

jennerose, your post is in the canning & preserving catagory. Sorry, but the overall tone to your posts (in other topics, i.e. sandwiches, caesar salad) are statements that are inaccurate, or trying to 'teach' cooks/chefs a lesson - then you come back and ask for suggestions i.e. sandwiches. You laid down the sandwich 'law' posted it in the sandwich catagory then ask for sandwich suggestions. You also commented - lettuce is for 'heat patients' in your caesar salad recipe. I'm not a 'heat patient, & I like lettuce!

Sorry, but, can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to accomplish here.

In answer to this question, or are you making another statement? I have eaten canned foods, and you might do a search & will find discussions covering the same topic.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
there`s nothing wrong with Canned food per se, any more than Jarring or other means of preservation.

Sodium Benzoate isn`t going to harm you either, when it hits the stomach the Sodium is stripped off leaving sodium chloride and benzoic acid.

Benzoic is almost insoluble in aqueous conditions and it`s VERY VERY hard to strip off the bonds to leave anything harmfull like Benzene even with Lab reagents! you need EXTREMELY powerfull reducing agents such as Lithium aluminium hydride or sodium borohydride and do this under reflux, if you had reducuers anywhere CLOSE to those in your system you would Detonate!
it just isn`t going to happen, not now not ever (unless we break the laws of Physics and Chemistry) :D

edit: sorry for the chem 101, lesson, but facts are facts :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Canning & preserving is different than buying canned food off a shelf. Your question is eating canned food. Many home cooks can & preserve foods from their garden. Check out the topic you are posting in. Please check your sources. TIA
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Head Chef

bizarre post, to say the least.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
bizarre post, to say the least.
17, to be exact - to date.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Executive Chef

In the US, it is possible to buy canned goods that do not have any chemicals added, not even salt.

I can a lot of my own fruits and vegetables, without salt and sugar or any other chemical. Canned goods are necessary to preserve the harvest!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
Cook

I believe our forebears canned and preserved much of their food since they only had the one season to get that food, unlike our ability now to get food from all over the world as "fresh". There is nothing wrong with canned food, either home canned or from the supermarket.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I moved this to "Food Talk". It seems it's not actually about home canning foods - more an issue with consuming canned foods. It's not a cooking related question so I figured it was "food talk"

Not everyone can have fresh foods all the time.

jennerose - you say there are side effects if we consume canned foods. What side effects are you talking about? Other people have asked you questions in other threads too. It would be nice if you could answer them.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote