"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Is your pizza shrinking?

i picked up a pizza today for lunch, and noticed that while once it barely fit in the box, often challenging structural integrity of the the origami like folds of said box, it was now slightly smaller, easily fitting within.

now, i know the cost of flour has skyrocketed, and the price of an average plain pie has increased from around $9 to $12, a 33% increase, but i wonder if everyone is experiencing the same loss of diameter in their pies?

i'm a thin crust kinda guy, so i feel that it shouldn't have had as big an effect as if you were to order a sicillian or deep dish pizza.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've seen that at some of the shops as well. Our favorite, Sal's Pizza, advertises their 3 pound, 19" pizza. A Cheeze pizza is $10.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Master Chef

I really haven't noticed the diameter of the pies getting smaller - but I have noticed the toppings getting thinner, and if you want to add 1 additional topping .... it cost about twice as much for half as much.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

Higher prices, same size, here.

Andy, we've been considering trying Sal's. What is your favorite pizza? Have you tried the 3 pounder? Do get delivery?

I'm making pizza tonight, on the hottest day of the year. Thank heavens for a.c.

Lee
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I have not noticed a change in our sizes or prices. I am counting myself as lucky.

I tried Sals once for lunch. I was unimpressed with the exception of the size of the slice which was about a quarter of a large pizza. I just ordered one slice and it had obviously been sitting out for a while and then popped in the oven to reheat. Flavor wise I would give it a 5 out of 10. It was not bad, but not good enough to get me to go back. I am sure a fresh pie would be much better though.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i order pizza from the local roundtable pizza. i have noticed it being smaller and not so much stuff (not that much before) i paid 23 dollars for a large with everything. add a small tip and it was almost 30 dollars. a tad expensive for what i was i think.

babe
Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

$23 for a large pizza? What was on it?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Higher prices, same size, here.

Andy, we've been considering trying Sal's. What is your favorite pizza? Have you tried the 3 pounder? Do get delivery?

I'm making pizza tonight, on the hottest day of the year. Thank heavens for a.c.

Lee

They have two sizes. The 3 pounder is 19". They also have a 12". If you avoid multiple veggies, you get a nice crisp thin crust. Veggies can make them soggy. The Sal's near us does not deliver. They are the best of the bunch out here so I go pick one up. Suzanne and I share a large and sometimes have a slice or two lef over.

GB, their slices are, in fact, a quarter pizza. If you order by the slice, it is premade and reheated. I don't know how else they could offer 'by the slice'.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

We noticed the same thing, so now we just go to Trader Joe's and get their refrigerated pizza dough. I use the Mario Batalli method, making pizzas directly on the grill outside. We can also put all the toppings we want/need :)
Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
No place to get pizza here..'cept in my own kitchen, so I can make our pizzas as big as we want.