"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
Cupcake

Special Christmas Dinner

This reminds me of my friend, who was a newlywed, wanting to make her first Christmas with her hubby special. They did not have much money, and they were unable to spend the holiday with their families. My friend's husband loved spaghetti, so she made spaghetti - BUT...she dyed it a bright green. She drained it and put it in the shape of a wreath on the plate. Then, she made little meatballs and placed them on the wreath with thin-sliced, holly-shaped, parmeasan "leaves (painted a darker green with some special food coloring that would coat it.) She assembled the entire thing: Spaghetti wreaths on each plate, with little holly-leaf pieces of parmeasan and meatball berries, and a bright red ribbon of sauce running through it.

He sat down. He smiled. He picked up his fork. He stirred it. And he excused himself for the restroom as he could not stomach green spaghetti...or green cheese. (What a light-weight!)

I guess what I'm saying is don't try this. While it is special, I don't think it is a memory that either treasures!

~Kathleen

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I like the idea of it!!! But then, I make Christmas Mac 'n Cheese - finely diced red and green bell peppers sprinkled over the Mac 'n Cheese to give it a holiday color - but I'm weird.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I like the idea of it!!!
I did too! But he was totally grossed out. Go figure.

~Kathleen
Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Every Christmas I pick a recipe that I've never fixed before, usually from a cuisine I'm not familiar with and arrange a menu around it. Like Mandarin Chinese, Indian, German, etc. It's adventurous and exciting. DH loves it and I have fun. I do try to do with the tools I have and using ingredients that are not to costly, usually all I have to purchase special are the spices and I can get those in the bulk food aisle, buying only what I need.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Master Chef

We always cook a whole bone-in ham and I fix twice-baked potatoes and bake apple and cherry pies. I make a double batch of dressing at Thanksgiving and freeze one pan, which we have for Christmas. My daughter brings a couple of side dishes and a dessert, usually pumpkin pie. It's tradition, just like the ham'n beans we have New Year's day from the leftover ham bone.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
This reminds me of my friend...
That story was way too funny! Thanks for sharing and no I won't do that.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'm leaning towards the ham and potatoes ideas. Does anyone know of any cakes that would be good besides cheesecake? I looked up holiday or Christmas cakes and I (surprisingly) haven't found any ideas yet. I'm probably looking in the wrong spot.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Christmas Eve is the big deal for the kids..Everyone puts in their food wish so it takes me at least 2 days to do it all. There is a very large platter of meats and cheeses,salami,mortadella,copa, toscano salami, pastrami, turkey,ham,prosciutto, cheddar,provolone,swiss,jack and then there is at least 3 kinds of olives,peppers,roasted red peppers,then comes a platter of homemade foccacia, stuffed onions, deviled eggs, salmon platter,crackers and a cream cheese,dill sour cream dip for the salmon.a round loaf of french bread filled with spinach dip, clam dip and chips,avocado dip with baguette,,
the kids orange favorite,all kinds of fruit in season sprinkled with pomegranite seeds,fondue,platter of oysters and shrimp and then cookies,cake,candy, drinks,Everyone eats for hours and at about 3 in the morning I collapse,then get up and start my dinner which this year is prime rib,coated with a mix of chopped and sauted mushroom,shallot,garlic,parsley and marjoram,then wrapped in prosciutto and then snuggled in puff pastry...garlic mashed potatoes,our usual artichokes with garlic parsley and butter, homemade stuffing, fruit and green salad and nice warm French rolls.Italian crunch cake for dessert.
Amen it's done
kadesma
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
Master Chef

i changed my mind- i'm going to kades, may swing by Mom & Dad's for presents. :)
Old 12-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yeah, I'm thinking Kadesma's house would be the perfect place for a Christmas dinner.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

You're both more than welcome...It's good to see you here luv,s Princess good to get a chance to talk with you.
kadesma