"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Christmas Dinner suggestions

So I've decided to actually make some type of dinner this year. We usually go over family and I'd help them cook, but this year I'm gonna cook for my husband and I (we have a 10mo old but he won't eat too much). So any suggestions for what would make a nice, special but also a simple Christmas dinner?!

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Honey Badger

We usually make a Prime rib with Yorkshire pudding. Top notch dinner and simple to..

Munky.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Executive Chef

You might think about something like:

A small boneless ham (usually under $7.00), potatoes, salad and holiday desert.

More to the point, they are simple and easily prepared ingredients, BUT the simplicity of them will allow you to prepare them in some sort of special way that you may never have attempted before. For example: Glaze the ham - twice bake the potatoes with three kinds of cheeses - make a Waldorf salad with your own twist to it - two small, individual New York Cherry Cheesecakes for desert.

4 ordinary items prepared in a special way will make your holiday dinner special! AND not very expensive.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Sous Chef

It's been just my husband and I since we moved to VA three years ago and I make a simple ham with pineapple on top. I use the pineapple juice and some brown sugar to make a glaze or sauce for the side. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn something, rolls and either pumpkin pie or apple crisp and some Christmas cookies!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoseB View Post
So I've decided to actually make some type of dinner this year. We usually go over family and I'd help them cook, but this year I'm gonna cook for my husband and I (we have a 10mo old but he won't eat too much). So any suggestions for what would make a nice, special but also a simple Christmas dinner?!

Thanks in advance.
You can make a small standing rib roast (often mistakenly called prime rib) that will give you a hearty meal and maybe enough leftovers for a sandwich. Add the sides of your choice to that. There are some very good recommendations above.

A special dessert will be a nice way to top off a special meal.

As an alternative, you could do a turkey breast.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

What about Rock Cornish hens? They're really just little chickens but you could probably do something really elegant with them. Maybe some roasted root vegetables and some great bread. And serve it on your best dishes with candle-light and all the fanfare you can come up with. It's not really about the food, but the time spent with loved ones that matters. Make it special and memorable.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Standing Rib Roast or Rack of Lamb. Both are easy and elegant.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
- two small, individual New York Cherry Cheesecakes for desert.

I like one big cheesecake and two spoons better.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

my Dad initially chose rib-roast, then whined 'bout its $$$$. so now he wants ham. i only like paper-thin slices of ham, fried, with eggs. so i'll probably miss the main attraction, concentrate on my
Mom's smashed taters, my grn.-bean casserole, geez, i'll mix a box of pillsbury gravy since ham isn't great for gravy besides red-eye gravy, may cook pudding. & peas/corn! i slept through thanksgiving with a flu, so this is sounding yummy!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
Head Chef

We'll be doing a standing rib roast, potatoes of some kind, and a veggie. It's just the three of us, so can get by with a small one.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote