"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

How about lobster? Easy! Though it's a bit messy. Just boil it for 15 minutes per lb. and whatever sides you like. Of course pasta is always good and easy too.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'd be a coward and buy some Barilla spaghetti, a jar of sauce. cook the pasta to instructions on the box. If you want to make this something special, if your grocery store sells fresh basil, chop some into the sauce and then scatter some artfully on the plates just before serving.

Make garlic bread. Buy a bag of mixed greens and buy the package of Good Seasons Italian dressing, the one with the cruet included. BUT, make it your own with some good olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. Grate some good parmesan cheese. Put some in both the salad when you toss it, and leave some out to put over the spaghetti to taste.

Buy some cheese and crackers for an nibble before you move to the table.

Buy some really good ice cream and a liquer to pour over it for desert.

Put candles on the table and a table cloth.

This will take you maybe 45 minutes to prepare, and the instructions are all there for you.

Then, if all is going well, confess everything, and let her know you were trying to impress her. Promise (and follow through) that you're going to learn to cook. If she runs screaming ... oh, well. Nothing's going to happen to a relationship built on a lie but unhappiness.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Make shitlins and hogmaws with hotsauce on the side and fresh bread.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

So how did it go, Plusone?

What did you end up making & how did it turn out? :)
Old 08-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I have the feeling plusone was a one hit wonder on here. I hope not! So many people helped him out.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I realise the dinner has probably been and gone, but for future reference (or future dates, if you were successful) - i would grab some nice atlantic salmon steaks, pan-fry them with a little pepper and make a nice simple sauce & serve with salad greens. Its so simple, but could easily be a restaurant meal. Plus its not messy like pastas or saucy dishes (which can be a distraction - trying to eat politely while at the same time being amazingly charismatic and charming...).

Plus, the sauce is up to you - i always order this at restaurants, and it usually comes with a creamy mayonnaise, hollandaise, or sometimes a salsa. I like to make mango chutney or salsa, or greek yoghurt mixed with sweet chilli sauce & lime to go with it.

For dessert - you don't even have to cook to make it fancy - get some sundae glasses, fill with ice cream, drizzle with liquor and top with crushed nuts, chocolate shards, or both.
Good luck in the future.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Man its too bad I didnt see this sooner, I have an awsome pad thai recipe that is super easy and super good ! darn it ohh well maybe next time.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 AM   #18
Head Chef

How aboout sharing the pad thai recipe with the rest of us?