ISO Interesting and/or new ingredient inspiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiona

Cook
What interesting or new ingredients have you recently bought or cooked with? I submitte a post a few weeks ago about quinoa and since then I have devised quite an asortment of salad recipes & even hubbie loves it which surprised him. I want to discover some new things to cook with - can you please give me inspiration? Thank you:angel:

Last edited:
Barley. I know that it's not an "interesting ingredient" per se, but it's something that I've always liked... but I've never been able to buy in the country I live in. I recently found some for sale in a small shop surprisingly near my apartment, and have been using it a lot-- It's a nice, healthy grain and you can really do a lot with it.

ground cardamom, cardamom roots, cardamom pods. They add great flavor to Asian rice dishes. Steaming the rice with cardamom pods and lemon grass is really good. Cardamom is really expensive where I live though, hopefully it isn't for you. In fact, if anyone out there knows where to get a good deal on it send me a PM or post it somewhere.

chinese ground bean sauce..thats the newest addition to my pantry..

Cardamom is really expensive where I live though, hopefully it isn't for you. In fact, if anyone out there knows where to get a good deal on it send me a PM or post it somewhere.

try an indian grocery store..

btw, what is cardamom root ?

I would really like to investigate quinoa - thanks for the reminder!

My mind is kind of a blank right now and all I can think of is, and it's not an ingredient, but a combination of ingredients. I LOVE the combination soy sauce, cilantro, and lime. I use this combination in Vietnamese Summer Rolls, buckwheat/soba noodles, flank steak marinade, chicken, pork tenderloin...:chef:

Whole-wheat couscous.

I like couscous, but the husband has never been a fan - thinks it's tasteless & dry - but for whatever reason he really liked the whole-wheat version. It definitely has a somewhat "nutty" taste, although I didn't see any difference in texture or moisture. But - whatever makes him happy - lol!! (Plus, the whole wheat is healthier.)

Jicama is one of my favorite ingredients that most people, outside of here of course, have almost never heard of. I love using it and having people ask what it is.

Jicama is one of my favorite ingredients that most people, outside of here of course, have almost never heard of. I love using it and having people ask what it is.

You mean, you have to tell the people at the checkouts what price code to look up, too?

I love jicama, too. It's very common here since it's widely used in Mexican cooking. Mostly I use it raw and sliced into thin sticks in salads - I love the crunch! But my son likes to put it in Ramen noodle soup.

Jicama

It has a great crunch almost like a granny smith apple, but a little different. The flavor is mild, but refreshing.

If you ever make Jicama Slaw, make sure you make it right before you serve it. Otherwise it will get watery.

I love jicama, too.

Another ingredient that I've come to appreciate is miniature celery. It almosts looks like parsley, but has a more concentrated flavor than regular celery and is easy to chop and add to soups and stews, etc. Of course it's not used for hors d'oerves.

We also like gai lan (sp?) which is a dark leafy green veggie (similar to a spinach) but is wonderful stir fried.

Black cumin seeds------these are fantastic on savoury breads, bread sticks, spread on pita bread and baked, spread on lavash and baked, etc.......

I love jicama, also. Rapini is something we enjoy, but find is difficult to find.

Rapini (aka Broccoli Raab) is by far one of my FAVORITE vegetables. In fact, I have some seeds to sow soon from one of my favorite specialty seed purveyors ("Seeds of Italy" Seeds from Italy). They offer (& I've bought) several different varieties. Who even knew there WERE different varieties - lol!!

Luckily, the regular supermarkets around here regularly carry broccoli raab (the "Andy Boy" brand), & I buy it all the time. In fact, I have a big fresh crisp bunch in the fridge right now, & will be enjoying it for dinner tonight in this favorite recipe from "Eating Well" magazine "Chicken, Broccoli Raab, & Feta on Toast". Here's the link: Chicken, Broccoli Rabe & Feta on Toast - Eating Well

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom