"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Lenten meal ideas

i'm thinking of what to have during Lent on fridays. any particular dishes that you make? any suggestions would be appreciated. i'm having pierogies tonite.... so simple yet so very delicious.
thanks!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love fish and seafood so much, I could eat it every night in one form or another.
Can you eat shellfish, or is it off limits? Seafood pasta comes to mind.

There's also macaroni and cheese...you can add all sorts of exotic cheeses to a white sauce, add to cooked elbows, put in sprayed baking dish, and top with breadcrumbs, sliced tomatoes. Dot with butter before you put in the oven.

You could make some very tasty meatless pizzas. Just use your imagination for the toppings...I'm thinking caramelized onions, anchovies, black olives and fresh grated cheese of your choice.

Have you thought about portabella "burgers" with an oven-roasted or grilled tomato on top?

I have made a great chef's salad with albacore tuna as the star.

Hope I gave you some ideas!

PS...please tell me how you make perogies that are "so easy"!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Master Chef

great thoughts! thanks!
psst.... my easy pierogies are frozen ones....
Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Head Chef

We do a lot of pierogi for lent as well, but fish is usually what we end up having on Fridays. Although a trip to the Polish diner for the anti-atkins platter is always an option (Potato pierogi, potato pancakes, plus the little fruit filled crepe/blintz things that I can't spell right to save my life!)

We're big on mac and cheese as well, plus sushi and sashimi at a local Japanese place usually is a lenten staple for us.

Generally, I try to get through lent without having the same kind of fish twice (fried, grilled, blackened, etc.)

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Sous Chef

During lent I will probably do eggplant parm,shrimp scampi,white or red clam sauce,potatoes and eggs,penne alla vodka.These are things I usually make any night during the year but, will save for Fridays during lent.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Cook

Both my wife and I come from Polish families so pierogies and a Friday night fish fry are Lenten staples. A few years ago I had an Aha! moment when I realized that all the aunts who made the great pierogies were getting on in years and .....

So I decided to learn how to make the things from scratch myself. I rooted around and found an old Polish cookbook for a dough recipie. Pretty simple really and I have been practicing ever since. The recipe is as follows and I am not making this up:

Two cups of flour
Some water
1 egg
A little salt

Mix the water and egg into the flour until the dough is just right. Add a pinch of salt. (I omit this part) and let stand for five minutes. Roll out to the proper thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter. Stuff with filling. Pinch the edges and boil until done.

I am here to tell ya that the dough being just right was a bit tricky. But I persisted and know they are at least palatable. With enough fried onions and butter you can make just about anything taste good.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

This is the perfect time to try a vegetarian lazagna, a mushroom risotto, a tomato basil based vegetable soup, or one of my old time faves, fish cakes with welsh rarebit (canned salmon or tuna, bread crumbs, egg, herbs, pepper or hot sauce, a little melted butter, blend gently and pan fry or oven bake in a mold in a water bath.)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

we go for sushi/sashimi almost every friday during lent, but also add other fish dishes like whole baked fish, cioppino/bouillabase/zuppa di pesce, mussels/clams/shrimp/crab fra diavolo, cod in saffron/tomato/roasted garlic broth, baked salmon in herb butter, grilled teryaki tilapia, grilled swordfish, crabcakes, and breaded fried flounder.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sushi every Friday... that almost makes me wish that I still celebrated lent. : )
Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't celebrate lent. My family never has for some reason.
Anyway try a Veggie Spaghetti