"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I live in Southern Ca. I am interested in feed back for this kind of thing in this area. I have heard advertising on the radio for "Susan Healthy Gourmet" my mil no longer eats as well as she should and I think she's a candidate for this kind of service. Would appreciate feedback.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
I live in Southern Ca. I am interested in feed back for this kind of thing in this area. I have heard advertising on the radio for "Susan Healthy Gourmet" my mil no longer eats as well as she should and I think she's a candidate for this kind of service. Would appreciate feedback.
Barbara here's a link for you Susan's Healthy Gourmet

Don't know if she serves the area in which your mother lives. You'll be able, I hope, to find that out by reading the link.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
Master Chef

Well, dad came home from the hospital (again) on Friday, & just told me that mom heated up "Impromptu Gourmet"'s "Italian Meatloaf" last night for dinner & it was FABULOUS. Lots of cheese, spinach, & a center of Italian sausages. Dad thought it was great, which really warmed my heart. I'm starting to think very very well of Schwan's "Impromptu Gourmet"!!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I haven't tried Impromptu Gourmet, yet. After I signed onto the Schwann's site, I kept receiving IG's emails - one a day. The prices looked too high, so I unsubscribed. I started preparing a Schwan's order, but when I got to about $200, wanted to rethink ordering. I started a thread awhile back re Food ordering on line & got some good suggestions. I still may go with QVC - steak and/or crab cakes. Schwann's will deliver to my zip code in SC, but it will be packed in ice bags. I do grocery shopping on line & get fresh deli & salads that are okay (same or next day) - for a $10 delivery charge from Albertson's. Vons also delivers, but too many neg reasons why I don't shop on line with them any more. Hope your dad is doing better.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I heard about a place called Supper Thyme usa on the channel 2 news this evening, and I'm giving it a try. There may be a location in your area, if you check around their site. This place is a little different than IG. They have heart healthy meals too. They need a little preparation. You can go in and put meals together, but I ordered mine on line (using their menu) & they will deliver on Friday. The woman I spoke to is very nice. The concept came about, for working people that want a good meal & don't have lots of time to cook. The site gives a better descrip. Here is what I ordered:

1 Balsamic Beef Kabobs
----- -------------------------------------------------
1 Chicken Asparagus Bake
1 Greek Style Chicken
1 Pesto & Sun Dried Tomato Stuffed Burgers
1 Thai Shrimp Stir-Fry
1 Zesty Baby Back Ribs

Supper Thyme USA
Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Interesting concept but, unfortunately, only there are only 17 states that have access to the company.

My only comment is that folks can have good meals no matter how busy they are if some forethought is given. We don't have to depend on outside sources.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Katie,
Thanks for sending the the site, I just checked it out. Will try it for sure!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I've been served food from Schwans ... while it was not my idea of home made, it certainly was edible, and for a couple not wanting to cook much anymore but wanting to eat more than soup and toast, it should be fine. THeir up scale is more than likely better still.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #19
Master Chef

Another "Impromptu Gourmet" entree update.

Mom & dad enjoyed the "Chicken Rustica" last night for dinner & loved it. It's chicken breasts filled with ricotta, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and cream cheeses; sun-dried tomatoes, & chopped Italian ham blended with mustard and herbs.

They said it was great. Mom served it with some cheese tortellini & a salad on the side.

I'm more & more pleased that I sent them this as a gift. They really seem to be enjoying it.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I have a friend in Indiana that is in a similar situation with her in-laws. They are like us - they don't eat processed foods, and she was concerned about the chemicals having deleterious effects on her recovering mother-in-law. What she found is a wonderful (and free) service for senior citizens called "Meals for Wheels" where they will bring freshly-made foods to seniors in need. That might be a possibility for your mother & father, as well. I don't know how wide-spread it is, but it could be a healthy alternative to the processed stuff Schwann's offers. I've also not seen how "healthy" the food actually is, but if it's free, it is probably worth at least finding out about.

ETA: It's Meals "ON" Wheels and here is a link their website. MOWAA