"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO opinions about "Impromptu Gourmet"

Has anyone here purchased from them before? They're a more upscale division of Schwan Foods. (Impromptu Gourmet® - Gourmet Food: Dinners, Desserts, Gifts - Mail Order Online)

My dad's been in the hospital for awhile now, & my mom - although a fabulous cook - hasn't been cooking for herself &/or eating very well according to my brother (I live out of state). So, as a partial Mother's Day gift I sent her about $200 worth of selections - entrees & sides - in the hopes that they may at least jump-start her into eating a bit better.

Although I've already done the deed, was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with their products. Like all catalogs, the descriptions are mouthwatering.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Master Chef

No one?

Well, I guess I'll have to write reviews as my mom samples it.

She received the package yesterday & said it was extremely well packed with lots of ice packs in a very decorative box. She's thinking of having one of the entrees tonight, so I'll pick her brains tomorrow, depending on what happens with my dad, who's having surgery today. Fingers crossed & prayers being said here.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I just saw this thread; I have heard of them but haven't heard any reviews.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have no experience with either Schwan's or Impromptu Gourmet, so I can't offer any reviews. Hope you get some responses.

Regardless, at least your mother will have some delicious and nutritious meals and that's the real point. Your idea was very thoughtful.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I also do not have experience with Schwans or Impromptu foods, though their food does look delicious. Hope your mom enjoys her meals. I also hope the best for your dads surgery today.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I am interested in your thoughts after your mom tries the food. My parents haven't been well and when one or the other is in the hospital, the other one doesn't eat well at all.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Master Chef

Well, after sitting here like a lump of cold mashed potatoes all day awaiting news, just heard that the surgery "went well" & dad is in recovery. It will be several hours, if not tomorrow, before I'll know more.

As for my first "review", just spoke with mom & she made an early supper out of Impromptu Gourmet's "Tempura Shrimp with Japanese Dipping Sauce". Said the shrimp were quite large & came packaged 5 to a serving, one of which was perfect for her with a salad on the side. Said they came out very crisp & very good. If I was physically able to, I would have done a cartwheel at the other end of the phone, because from what I've heard she's been eating virtually nothing but canned soup, etc., since dad went into the hospital.

So, so far "Impromptu Gourmet"'s "Tempura Shrimp with Japanese Dipping Sauce" @ $14.95 for 10, packed 5 to a serving, are a hit.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I've eaten Schwan foods, a number of different food items. Not good stuff. The company uses below average quality ingredients. Their ice cream is okay, but any food items are not worth the money. I hope their upscale offerings are better.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I did some snooping around to see if I could find any information on the nutritional content of their foods and found this, just click on the individual food item to get a nutritional rating. Bear in mind, this is Schwan foods, not the level of foods breezycooking bought. Most foods seem to be high in saturated fats, sodium, and sugar.
Schwan's Nutritional Information
Old 05-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't thinking of "healthy" when I ordered for my mom - I just wanted her to EAT something besides toast & soup. Anything to possibly "jump start" her - lol!!

I think the fact that she really liked the shrimp (& she's made shrimp tempura herself) was a move in the right direction.