"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
Head Chef

We always go to a friend's home for Thanksgiving. She does the roast turkey and stuffing and we all bring the rest of the meal. Usually about 15-20 couples. My DH and I miss the leftovers, though, so I usually cook a turkey a few days after the holiday including all the trimmings.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Head Chef

My sister in law makes a killer stuffing. Basically replace your cornmeal with pieces different flavor bagels. She picks up all the different non-fruit flavors and uses them. Great flavor and wonderful texture..

Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
Head Chef

I can't think of a stuffing recipe I wouldn't eat/like -- oyster, fruit (apples, celery - and I like chopped walnuts for a little crunch), mushrooms & onions or raisins and apples. (I even like the stuff in a box - gasp.) I make mine outside the bird. Adding some poultry seasoning imo, sometimes gives the dressing/stuffing some added flavor. You could add a few herb/garlic croutons to the mix. I just cant stay away from salt.

For a different twist/take on the same old, same old, here's a Stuffin' Muffins recipe from RR.

Apple and Onion Stuffin' Muffins

P.S. Like the idea of adding dried cranberries.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Go hereEpicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides and look up the Mid Atlantic chestnut dressing I have made it every year since 1994 if you read the reviews so have alot of other people it also has mushrooms in it moist and delicious.There is also the brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes with almonds and marshmellows from the same issue its also has great reviews and the same thing people keep making it for years.Its true what some reviews say that people that hate sp love this I also have had people love those when they did not like them in the first place.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
She picks up all the different non-fruit flavors and uses them. Great flavor and wonderful texture..
awwwwwwwwww shucks - no blueberry bagel stuffing? How disappointing

I can't add anything that others haven't added - good luck!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #16
Executive Chef

as I've gotten older, my tastebuds or likes and dislikes have changed a bit.
the idea of really small tiny pieces of chicken livers in a standard stuffing [just wake up the flavor or add another dimension] makes sense to me as does a tiny bit of lemon to boost the layering too.

Footnote, I watched this this morning. Don't like the show necessarily, but did this morning. I think it's their last years Thanksgiving show.Sausage Dried Cranberry and Apple Stuffing Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

it looked good, typical, not overly odd to me and something I might give a try to myself. Good lukc with your meal, you'll have a great time, I am sure of that
Old 11-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Caine - I am familiar with turkey sausage but it's a bit more complicated then that because there are some members of our family that eat halal meat (similar to kosher). It's not easy to find susage in halal form everywhere.
Well, if you want to try a stuffing with sausage, and you can find a halal butcher who will grind up some lawful turkey breast for you, you can make your own Italian sausage, without stuffing into the customary casing, which you have to remove anyway:

1 lb. ground turkey
tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground paprika
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. crushed red pepper

Here it a recipe I modified from one I saw in Cooking Light magazine and I enjoy so much, I have made it several times since, including for Christmas with prime rib.

Corn Bread Stuffing with Sausage, Apple, & Fennel

2 tsp olive oil
pound Italian sausage (you could leave this out entirely, and it would still be great)
1 large onion, diced
1 bay leaf
2 Granny Smith apples, diced
4 celery stalks, with leaves, chopped
cup fennel bulb, diced (a.k.a sweet anise)
1 tsp garlic, minced
tsp poultry seasoning
tsp salt
tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cups turkey or chicken broth
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf and cook until onion softens, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery and fennel, and cook until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic, sage, poultry seasoning, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, and allow to cool to room temperature.

Crumble cornbread into a large bowl, add the sausage mixture, and toss to combine. Add the broth and eggs and stir to blend thoroughly.

From here, you can either stuff the turkey, spoon the stuffing in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray and put it, uncovered, in the oven with the turkey, or both (my personal favorite!).
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Thanksgiving is a North American and Canadian celebration. If other countries want to incorporated it would be nice if they continue with the tradition of serving harvested foods (root veggies), stuffing and turkey. I will have to make my very own stuffing and cranberries at my in-laws' then. Enough said.
Well, no, most cultures and countries have some sort of harvest festival expressing thanks to the god(s) for the bounty, going back thousands of years. They might have a different name for it, but it's the same concept.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
My sister in law makes a killer stuffing. Basically replace your cornmeal with pieces different flavor bagels. She picks up all the different non-fruit flavors and uses them. Great flavor and wonderful texture..

I've never heard of using bagels for stuffing, but it sounds like it would be yummy.

Any chance that you could get a complete recipe from your SIL?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-n-Cheese! View Post
I've never heard of using bagels for stuffing, but it sounds like it would be yummy.

Any chance that you could get a complete recipe from your SIL?
She is like me--generally we just cook. No real recipe to follow.

It would be something like this--
cut up the bagels and toast them slightly in the oven.
Place them in a big bowl. Add onion, celery, almond slivers, oranges, cranberries(or any other fruits you would like), sage, salt, pepper, maybe some garlic and chicken broth. Mix it up--and either stuff the turkey or place in a pan and bake it. You are going to get a lot of flavor from the bagels so you won't need a lot of seasoning.