ISO Warm Apple Cider w/ alcohol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
luvs, the cider i love, called magner's irish cider, aka bullmer's cider, is consumed cold. i like to get a side of ice with mine to keep a few cubes afloat in the glass.

for a warmed cider, try adding spiced rum to (room temp) apple cider and a little hot water. i've even seen people add lemon wegdes stuck with cloves to this concoction.

Hmmm. Hot apple cider, mulling spices and some dark rum or brandy.

I have bought packets of mulling spices pre-mixed.

Here's a British westcountry recipe for mulled cider. I should point out that in the UK and Ireland, cider is an alcoholic drink. The non-alcoholic stuff is merely called apple juice!

1 litre bottle of cider or scrumpy
A large eating apple
Whole cloves
Whole allspice
Cinnamon bark
Coarsely grated nutmeg

Mix the spices in roughly equal amounts and weigh out 8-10g of the mixture. Place into a small muslin bag and close off with string. Wash, but do not peel the apple. Cut into medium slices. Place the apple, spice bag and cider into a pan and gently heat. Do not bring to the boil otherwise the alcohol will boil off. Maintain the heat so that you can just bear to put your finger into the cider. Keep at this temperature for 15 minutes. Remove the muslin sack and serve the mulled cider.

and in ireland, it's pronounced soy-der. :)

i've had something close to this before, ishbel, and it's really good. thanks for the recipe.

Hmm.. I wonder if I can scale this to 5 US gallons...

That might be enough for one or two other DC'ers to stop by and enjoy the winter sights.

John

BuckyT
In Somerset (pronounced Zummerset by locals) they have a song which has the immortal line 'I'm just come up from Zummerset, where the Zider apples grow' :cool:

I buy a jug of fresh apple cider in the fall, warm it in a pot and add some dark rum and a cinnamon stick.

BTW - for all of us 'Yanks' who want to make real cider in the fall (Not that Woodchuck stuff!!) it's SUPER easy.

Swing by an orchard and get a jug of fresh cider (not pastuerized, no preservatives). Put it in the fridge (or on the counter if you need it faster), and 'burp' it every day or two. It should ferment on it's own into slightly fizzy, tasty cider. (If you want to help it, give it some brewers yeast)

Just remember to burp the jug - otherwise it will keep creating CO2 and make a big old mess when the jug blows up. :huh:

John

have something, not real with cider, but it could be worth a try?

Apfel-Zimt-Likör

ingridients:

2 Liter pure apple juice
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1 Liter Schnaps (some clear brandy?)
1 Liter rum (54%)
200g sugar (candy)

heat the juice and the cinnamon sticks and coll down again.
Mix in the the sugar and add the rum and schnaps.
you can vary the amount of sugar, but the more sugar the harder the next day.. ;o)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom