Italian Easter Pies and easter bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Most Italians have either had or made the easter pies, called pizza cheina, pizza gain, pizza rustica, etc. Seems everyone has a different name for them.

I never really liked them as a kid. You see this beautiful double crusted pie, standing high above the rim...only to cut into it and find :ohmy:meat and eggs:ohmy:! Clearly not what I was looking for as a kid, but now...well, now, I love them, and love baking them even more.

I usually make two savory and one sweet. One savory has cheese and meats, the other has cheese, meats and raw eggs folded in which bake whole. The sweet is a blend of tapioca and ricotta.

Anyone else making easter pies this year???

I also make easter breads with coloured eggs baked into the dough. Anyone else??

My family ALWAYS has "Pizza Rustica" ours is usually done square. Delicious. Never seen the savory version although we have a ricotta pie too

i've never made one vb, but i'm looking forward to going to my sis's house for easter, as her mil - marie barone's twin - brings them to the family get together.

just don't ask for a recipe. :huh:

if you could, pretty please, post a recipe or two for your easter pies?

Philly, huh...? Tell me....are you a Termini Bros patron or Isgro's?;)

Hmm my roots are actually Bronx so I have always gotten my Italian fix from Arthur Ave... Only been in Philly for a few months I plan to start getting to know my way around the Italian Market this summer.... Suggestions?

I need to get the Pizza Rustica recipe from mom.

I'll post my recipes this afternoon, sorry for not seeing this yesterday!

Pancho...you have to go to Talutto's for your ravioli fix. You simply have to. I promise you won't be disappointed. Perhaps we'll meet this spring during the 9th Street Italian Festival. You'll enjoy that. By the way, Canulli Bros makes a mean pork sandwich during the festival. Right off the pig.....:pig:

my mum makes a rock cakeish kinda mixture and plaits the mixture around a a boiled egg...long one for the males and a round one for the females of the family :D

am interested to see ur recipe!

I second the request for recipes! I love those Italian pies, and it seems like a really fun and different way to celebrate Easter... not for this year, though. I already have my menu planned. Still, I'd love to see something I can use next year. An italian themed Easter dinner sounds like a lot of fun.

I am making Austrian Coffee and Walnut cake and Felafals with pitta bread for Easter Sunday. Also Cornflake and chocolate cakes with gummy bears on them for the kids. Not very traditional I know. ;)

Pancho...you have to go to Talutto's for your ravioli fix. You simply have to. I promise you won't be disappointed. Perhaps we'll meet this spring during the 9th Street Italian Festival. You'll enjoy that. By the way, Canulli Bros makes a mean pork sandwich during the festival. Right off the pig.....:pig:

Thanks for the tips I will definitely check it out... I do love fresh ravioli. I need to get my knives down to Fantes for sharpeing soon too.

Pastiera Napolitana, a rich tart made with fresh ricotta di pecora, eggs and cooked einkorn wheat.

My partner Cristiano makes an excellent one, and it is our Easter "tradition".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom