It's Friday again! What's cookin'? 7/7/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
The older I get, the faster time flies. Seems like every other day is Friday!

Anyway, thought an early start for the dinner thread would be a good idea.
:chef:

I need inspiration, so what's cooking at your house today?

Nuthin' is cookin' in our house tonight. Glenn's oldest daughter is getting married today and we'll be going to the evening reception, which will include a full dinner. All we need to do is to show up with our smiling faces, our good wishes and our appetites. From what I hear, it's going to be some kind of party. She's been married before but, somehow, I have a feeling this is the wedding she's always wanted. Promises to be a good evening.

I hope you have a great time at the wedding, Katie, and blessings on the newly married couple. :heart:

Kayelle, I'm thinking of trying this new recipe: Penne with Mushrooms, Corn, and Thyme, with a couple of tweaks. I have farfalle that needs using up, and the chives in the store looked pathetic, so I'll probably use fresh parsley, unless mine is pathetic! I'm afraid I'll never live in the south because of the humidity (and the fact that our kids don't live there...), but nothing says I can't get "Southern Living" magazine delivered to my door! :LOL: I love their recipes, and the articles and photos aren't bad either.

So dinner is either that, or Breakfast For Supper. When I'm stuck for a meal idea or just don't want to cook/have time, I always fall back to BFS

Started off the day with fish/zucchini/asparagus/green pepper/cheese/dill/salt, foil dinners along with leftover double stuffed baked potatoes w/bacon. I could eat the fish and veggies, no double baked for me.
Then some chocolate chip cookies w/walnuts for them.
Lastly and it won't be done until late tonight, a huge chicken made into chicken spaetzle soup/carrots/onions/celery/ herbs, and I'm all in for the chicken soup w/o the spaetzle. Leftovers in case I get hungry later, steamed onion/broccoli/tomatoes with a rich creamy curry. No one here ever goes hungry. I hope those inspire you in some way.

Nuthin' is cookin' in our house tonight. Glenn's oldest daughter is getting married today and we'll be going to the evening reception, which will include a full dinner. All we need to do is to show up with our smiling faces, our good wishes and our appetites. From what I hear, it's going to be some kind of party. She's been married before but, somehow, I have a feeling this is the wedding she's always wanted. Promises to be a good evening.
I hope you have a wonderful time!

I'm having grilled mesquite chicken, sweet potato ( savory, not with brown sugar), and a spinach and arugula salad with a lemon, Parmesan dressing. The boyfriend is having pan fried pork chops, white potato and corn

We're having pasta with our oven-roasted/dried tomatoes with chicken, onions, garluc, fresh basil, with a little bit of white wine and chix stock, parm on top.

That's ok KL, I kept thinking off and on ( the way my brain works sometimes ) that today was Saturday, so I guess I just gained a day.

We made beer brats finished on the grill, sauerkraut, corn on the cob and doctored up bake beans.

Salmon filets with red potatoes (and garlic, lemon juice, and basil), green salad on the side. Mrs. T gave it a two forks up. Recipe is from the cookbook "The Black Dog: Summer on the Vineyard", which I picked up at the local library's used book sale rack for a whole dollar. It's been some years, but I've been to the Black Dog before. Nobody goes there anymore, because it's too crowded. Apologies to Yogi Berra.

Making meatballs. Have homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs and herbs leftover from breaded fish fillets soaking in milk. Also, have a large can of chipotles in adobo sauce; almost all the chiles are gone but maybe 1/3 cup of the sauce is left. Will combine that with some homemade tomato sauce leftover from Wednesday to make a meatball sauce. Wish I had some red wine.

BBq steak, rice & tomato.

img_1517486_0_eb8ac047185628b23ae63d55f035eecb.jpg

review of a first-time recipe

...Kayelle, I'm thinking of trying this new recipe: Penne with Mushrooms, Corn, and Thyme, with a couple of tweaks...
This was good (the corn was really good) but needed a little "something". I will make this again, but next time I think I'll saute bacon pieces before I saute the mushrooms and use the bacon fat instead. I'll add back the bacon at the end.

Prosciutto or pancetta would probably work fine, too.

Attachments

• 20170707_214225.jpg
    20170707_214225.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 129
Wonderful sounding dinners all around. :yum: CG, looks great! Joey, I couldn't view yours for some reason....

I had the rest of the black bean and corn salad from yesterday. Actually, I had ALMOST the rest of it - I ended up throwing about the last cup away. Avocados just don't carry over all that well after the first day, even with the lime/lemon juice. Watermelon for a side.

Cheryl, I ended up making your salad tonight to go with the Mojo grilled chicken thighs. We have a lot of salad left as I had planned, and lately I've left the avocado out of the salad, adding it only to the salad as served.

Kay, I usually do that but this time I didn't. I had intended it to be eaten in one day, but once I was done with all the veggie add-ins, it grew too much. :ermm::LOL:

I LOVE that salad, it's so cool and refreshing on a hot summer day.

Juicy Lucie's on the grill topped with garden lettuce and onion, potato chips, etc. Dessert was rhubarb pie with homemade rhubarb ice cream. Yum. I don't really like rhubarb, but I do like rhubarb ice cream.

Making meatballs. Have homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs and herbs leftover from breaded fish fillets soaking in milk. Also, have a large can of chipotles in adobo sauce; almost all the chiles are gone but maybe 1/3 cup of the sauce is left. Will combine that with some homemade tomato sauce leftover from Wednesday to make a meatball sauce. Wish I had some red wine.
Chipotle in the meatballs will become a regular thing. Adobo in the sauce was iffy 'til I stirred in some sour cream.

Back
Top Bottom