It's Friday! dinner thread - 4-8-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm about to start prepping and making my first ever pot of gumbo. I have four recipes I'll be pulling bits and parts from, but I do have the necessary gumbo basics of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, filé powder, seafood stock, fresh okra, and Andouille sausage. I'm just a little worried about making the roux. So far, all I've ever made are the lighter color ones. I just hope I don't burn the flour and have to make it again. And again. And again... We could end up with carry-out pizza for supper. :ermm:

Are you making an old faithful, or are you trying something new for supper?

Don't worry about the roux. It's not that sensitive. Just keep the burner on a lower temperature and stir. You an also bake the flour in the oven then mix it with the oil to make a roux. That works as well as the pan on the stove method.

You'll have lots of fun making that Gumbo CG. I've only made it a couple of times, and it's lots of work.

I'm doing my chili verde for tonight as it's cool and rainy here today, and something "stick to your ribs" sounds good to me too. I started adding fresh tomatillo's to my recipe after being inspired by GG, and they make a wonderful addition. Glad our little Mexican market is just a mile away. I'll burner blister some flour tortillas for the SC.

:yum: Gumbo! I've only made it a couple times as well, but it was good.

I'm making the panko chicken fingers that I'd planned for last night.

Last edited:
Great Googly Gumbo! Sounds like fun....enjoy!

I just put a batch of pizza dough by the wall heater to rise...checking to see if there is enough beer in the fridge and what is on tv....I work all weekend so tonight is the only night I get to chill......

WoooooEEEEE! That was one spicy gumbo! :yum: Tonight might very well end up being a three-beer night. Thanks for the encouragement on the roux, Andy. I ended up making it in the TO on my white Corningware pie plate. No trouble watching it turn brown. I probably could have let it go a little more than 15 minutes, but I wasn't sure if the burning smell was THE flour, or just the little bit I got on the TO door while stirring it a little.

Kayelle, you sure were right about it being a lot of work. At least I ended up making so much that I should be able to pack two more meals into the freezer - IF I can make room in the freezer.

Well, here is my delicious beauty!

Attachments

• 2016-04-08 21.11.46.jpg
    2016-04-08 21.11.46.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 218
I pulled from the freezer what I thought was baked chicken thighs which turned out to be roasted turkey breast. So I make a turkey salad.

Beautiful job there CG!! It looks delicious. Yep, what I remember best about the couple of times I've made it was how much work it is. Glad you made more than one meal.

That's a great tip about browning the flour in the oven Andy!

Last edited:
Thanks, Kayelle! I have a quart, which will do fine for one meal. Then there was a short pint, which also went into the freezer. It will be just right for some night when we're eating leftovers and don't seem to have quite enough.

It's going to be a while before I do this again. :LOL: I figure I'll do all the prep work one day, then the cooking the next. Just hoping I can make the next cobbled-recipe batch as good as this one.

WE WENT TO CHEF AND THE FARMER LAST NIGHT!! OMG, it was so good! We also had drinks and an appetizer - Southern Poutine! - at the Boiler Room! Amazing!

We're on our way out so I'll post more pix later, but here's a taste :yum:

Attachments

• 1460211010306.jpg
    1460211010306.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 1460211043681.jpg
    1460211043681.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1460211088758.jpg
    1460211088758.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 179
WoooooEEEEE! That was one spicy gumbo! :yum: Tonight might very well end up being a three-beer night. Thanks for the encouragement on the roux, Andy. I ended up making it in the TO on my white Corningware pie plate. No trouble watching it turn brown. I probably could have let it go a little more than 15 minutes, but I wasn't sure if the burning smell was THE flour, or just the little bit I got on the TO door while stirring it a little.

Kayelle, you sure were right about it being a lot of work. At least I ended up making so much that I should be able to pack two more meals into the freezer - IF I can make room in the freezer.

Well, here is my delicious beauty!

Now, THAT looks good! We frost-bitten Canadians don't know a whole lot of making gumbo, but I now realize that I need to learn. I've made jambalaya a bunch of times, so I think I have the basic "Loosianna" thing down.

Now, THAT looks good! We frost-bitten Canadians don't know a whole lot of making gumbo, but I now realize that I need to learn. I've made jambalaya a bunch of times, so I think I have the basic "Loosianna" thing down.
Being Canadian, I thought you might find the following to be of interest:

"Cajun cuisine is a style of cooking named for the French-speaking Acadian people deported by the British from Acadia in Canada to the Acadiana region of Louisiana."

Read more at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_cuisine

Back
Top Bottom