It's Friday, What's cooking? 9/16/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I plan on baked chicken breasts, seasoned with olive oil, garlic and Penzey's Turkish Seasoning and sauteed zucchini with garlic.

What are you fixing?

We had schrawarma pork, yeah I know should be beef or sheep, but this makes the pork taste lovely.

So we had that with arabic bread, vegetables and I had cole slaw with mine.

The plan is London broil either grilled and served with spinach, mashed potatoes and gravy or sliced for sandwiches. But not feeling well. I have had seltzer and saltines so far today.

Hope you feel better soon, MsM!

We didn't even break out last night's chicken alfredo take and bake, so that. It's usually pretty bland, so I'll probably doctor it up a bit. Maybe with some chopped jalapeno garlic stuffed olives.

Thinking about lunch right now. I have some bacon left over from yesterday's breakfast and I think I'll make a peanut butter and bacon sandwich.

But for tonight (great minds think alike, Dawgluver), I think I'll put a seared chicken breast and some chopped potatoes in a casserole dish and pour some homemade Alfredo sauce over them before baking, since I finally have some Parmesan cheese and garlic.

Chinese take out. Very busy day off for both of us and Karen still is making my brother's triple chocolate cheese cake for our oldest granddaughter's "birthday" cake. She is 14 today and we will go over tomorrow to celebrate!

MsM, hoping you feel better, too.

Craig, happy birthday to your granddaughter.

I'm going to have the loaded up taco salad that I ended up not having for yesterday's dinner. Snacked on a veggie tray with cheese and crackers instead.

Last edited:
Chinese take out. Very busy day off for both of us and Karen still is making my brother's triple chocolate cheese cake for our oldest granddaughter's "birthday" cake. She is 14 today and we will go over tomorrow to celebrate!
Do you think you could get her cake recipe? My DD loves chocolate and cheesecake so she would love that. Thanks in advance.

MsM, hoping you feel better, too.

Craig, happy birthday to your granddaughter.

I'm going to have the loaded up taco salad that I ended up not having for yesterday's dinner. Snacked on a veggie tray with cheese and crackers instead.

Hope you feel better soon, MsM!

We didn't even break out last night's chicken alfredo take and bake, so that. It's usually pretty bland, so I'll probably doctor it up a bit. Maybe with some chopped jalapeno garlic stuffed olives.
Thank you for the well wishes.

I would love some cheese I have the crackers. :mellow:

I've had way over my carb limit the last two days and I feel sluggish and generally lousy. I guess it's a carb hangover. :unsure:
I've learned my lesson, if I didn't know it before.

Dinner tonight is Asian marinated breast chunk kabobs with pearl onion and zucchini rounds on the grill. SC will add his glorified salads.
:yum:

.....I'm going to have the loaded up taco salad that I ended up not having for yesterday's dinner....

That really hit the spot tonight - I might even make another one tomorrow while I've got all the fixin's. 5:15 - dinner is done, kitchen is cleaned up and closed, and I'm heading out for a little walk.

Attachments

• Taco Salad.jpg
    Taco Salad.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 162
That really hit the spot tonight - I might even make another one tomorrow while I've got all the fixin's. 5:15 - dinner is done, kitchen is cleaned up and closed, and I'm heading out for a little walk.

:yum: Cheryl! I see what I think is ranch dressing, or is it crema? And what kind of cheese?

MsM, sending along more good wishes, hoping that you feel better soon. :flowers:

Craig, hope your family has a fun birthday celebration for your granddaughter's special day.

Nice salad, Cheryl. I'll stop by for mine later...hold the tortilla crisps, please.

Himself is off astronomy-ing again tonight (he has fans*), so I thought I would surprise him with an unexpected dinner. He is about to walk into the smell of kielbasa and sauerkraut, simmered on the stove, along with potatoes fried with bacon, homemade applesauce, homemade pickles, and pickled beets. I had been thinking about this last night, then saw Steve's photo in last night's dinner thread and decided that I would stop at the little Polish store in-town. Six choices, but I brought half-loops of just two kinds.

* His "booking agent", AKA the owner of the dairy with the corn maze, called him today to make sure he was coming. Someone had called yesterday asking if the "telescope guy" was going to be there that night. Turned out no one was there last night since the maze is open only F/S/S. :LOL: Himself is there F/S, sky permitting.

Attachments

• 2016-09-16 21.43.04.jpg
    2016-09-16 21.43.04.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 136
Thank you, Dawg :), yes that's ranch dressing - the cheese is crumbled Cotija. I cut a corn tortilla into little slices and fried them, and that was nice for a little crunchy topping. Yum.

Thank you, CG...ok, I'll hold the crunchy tortilla crisps for your salad. :) Your dinner looks fabulous - been a while since I've had kielbasa and yours and Steve's posts are giving me the hungries for it.

Is Himself out astronomy-ing to see the Harvest Moon and partial eclipse tonight? I've only read a little about it today - should read more - looks like it won't be as visible here in the Americas as other parts of the world. I was up and out on my patio at almost 6 this morning, and that big bright orange moon was incredible!! :ohmy:

Last edited:
Cheryl, he's one of the activities featured at a local corn maze. Last summer we stopped at a dairy that makes its own ice cream and sells it at their stand. I noticed a poster for their upcoming autumn corn maze that had a theme "The Milky Way". I mentioned to the proprietress that Himself had studied astronomy in college and would do field presentations at public viewings back home. WELL, she is this ball of energy - wouldn't let up until Himself agreed to come down there with his 'scope opening weekend. Once he did it, he remembered how much fun it could be. Went back many clear Friday and/or Saturday nights. When she called this year, even though the theme is something entirely different, he said he'd show up. He really enjoys this, so it's fun to see him doing something more than sitting around reading or watching TV. I'm glad to see he's back to getting use out of his equipment, too. When he bought the telescope/tripod/gear in the mid 1980's, it ran $2400!

The lunar eclipse occurred during daylight hours in the U.S. It was the other side of the globe that got to see it this time. Full moon actually makes it harder to see the stars and planets, but newbies to sky viewing still get a kick out of seeing the terrain on the moon. Alas, as good as his 'scope is, he can't spot the flag John Glen planted on the moon.

Back
Top Bottom