It's Non-Taco-Tuesday Here ~ 1/29/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pleasant surprise. We had given DD a ceramic pie plate for Christmas. Today she brought it back filled with an apple pie! So we had pie for dessert!

What a nice and tasty surprise! Gotta love daughters - sounds like you have some keepers there, Andy. :wub:

We're having tacos! I have a number of packages of pulled meats in the freezer. We'll have pork tonight. Yellow rice and black beans for sides. Ooo, and I have time right now to make quick pickled onions before we leave to run errands. See ya!

You are hereby crowned the nightly Goddess of sides. To brag a bit, my scratch made Taco's always stand alone. Ducking and running...:wub:

Exceeded expectations, but with a recipe from the 50's (thinking my mother's cooking), were pretty low.

Actually, it was pretty tasty. I think that next time I'll try it with b/s thighs. I used currants, because that's what I have at the moment. Curry with the other flavors was a good combination.

See, "retro" recipes can be a good thing, right? I'm already running..:D

Kayelle, doesn't bother me one bit that you leave your tacos to fend for themselves. Himself likes sides, I serve sides. Today, though, they were way more starch than I'm used to, but broccoli doesn't go with tacos. :cool:
...wash the unopened bags with some soapy water, rinse, and you should be good to go...
That's what I do when I buy a full, vac-sealed pork loin. That way I can open the package from the middle-ish when I start portioning it up for the freezer.
Pleasant surprise. We had given DD a ceramic pie plate for Christmas. Today she brought it back filled with an apple pie! So we had pie for dessert!
What a sweet daughter. Must take after her dad. :heart:

I call this photo "study of two tacos with two sides". [emoji38]"
IMG_20190129_215507700.jpg

I had to make some guacamole today, for Nat'l corn chip day, but that was lunch, and more of a snack.

For dinner, I had some chicken, that I marinated like I do for Thai grilled chicken, but I roasted it, instead. And I made a simple sweet and sour dip sauce - nam jeem gratiem - for the chicken. And I made some fried oats! I had some cooked whole oats in the fridge, and I just used my basic Thai fried rice recipe, and added some mushrooms and chopped up bok choy leaves, along with some basils, at the end. I can still smell that in my computer room at this time, and I really am fighting the urge to go down for a midnight snack! lol

Finished fried oats, with basils torn on top. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Nam Jeem Gratiem. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai chicken, finished roasting. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Meal served. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Kayelle, doesn't bother me one bit that you leave your tacos to fend for themselves. Himself likes sides, I serve sides. Today, though, they were way more starch than I'm used to, but broccoli doesn't go with tacos. :cool:

That's what I do when I buy a full, vac-sealed pork loin. That way I can open the package from the middle-ish when I start portioning it up for the freezer.

What a sweet daughter. Must take after her dad. :heart:

CG, the beauty of the taco is that it is the perfect food to eat when you don't have utensils -- or even a table and a plate.

CD

I cooked this last night, but we’ll be having it Wednesday night. An excellent spatchcocked chicken roasted over potatoes, mushrooms and onions. I think the skin looks a little like the hen has acne; I think that’s because I used ghee instead of butter under the skin. It’s nice and crunchy though, for those of you who like crunchy chicken skin!

C186AAB5-D692-4EC9-92C0-1D58F47DFA15.jpg

Exceeded expectations, but with a recipe from the 50's (thinking my mother's cooking), were pretty low.

Actually, it was pretty tasty. I think that next time I'll try it with b/s thighs. I used currants, because that's what I have at the moment. Curry with the other flavors was a good combination.
It's a lot older than the '50s. It's sort of a fusion dish - southern and Indian - associated with Charleston, SC. The theory is that it was invented in the 19th century and appeared in Junior League cookbooks in the' 50s.

It's a lot older than the '50s. It's sort of a fusion dish - southern and Indian - associated with Charleston, SC. The theory is that it was invented in the 19th century and appeared in Junior League cookbooks in the' 50s.

That's what I understand too GG.

Country Captain Chicken was originally published in the United States in the pages of Miss Leslie’s New Cookery Book published in Philadelphia in 1857. The recipe has been around for a very long time.

I am not a fan of curry and I'm not sure why I even tried this dish, but I'm glad I did. The curry flavor can (and should be) quite subtle, and just a background flavor instead of the star of the show. I used only 2 tsp. of curry powder. We thought the combo of flavors both interesting and delicious.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom