It's Saturday July 7. Let's Eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh, i see. you need better insulation. odd, tbough. older houses are usually brick sheethouses.

we have a 70 year old basement and first floor, and a single through the window ac unit cools the entire floor. it runs 16 hours a day non-stop, when ambient temps outside are above 85, but otherwise keeing sunny summertime windows shaded helps to improve it's efficiency.

Actually, the house is usually cool well into the spring and summer (thick brick walls). But over a week at over a hundred pretty much did it in. I guess what I'm saying is that this is a problem that didn't exist for the past 160 years. Don't want to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a solution to a one-month "problem" that may not occur for another 60+ years. If it happens again next year, believe me, we will be looking at ways to solve it.

And, yes, believe me. The front 4 rooms (2 up, 2 down), original part of the building is well insulated. The back three rooms (dining, kitchen, bath, and a maid's room above the dining room, which judging by the walls was once a kitchen) we discovered is just plaster right on brick (no lathe in between, no insulation). They were additions put on ca 1910. There is no insulation. Just plaster plastered on to the bricks. So ... hot in summer, cold in winter. BUT, we have excellent heat, so even with our -40 times, we did OK.

Last edited:
not to belabor the point, but a single ac running in another room with a floor fan directing the air into the kitchen would work. that's what i've done in previous apartments in the heat baked city with zero air flow. your bricks seem to be a heat island, much like nyc. again, insulation.

try the fan thing, though. you can cook all day. :chef:

Last edited:
Not much noteworthy here tonight, just a small salad. Been busy re-doing the den - an ongoing project :rolleyes: - so I just snacked on fruit, cheese and crackers most of the afternoon.

Dinner that made me smile the most - Dave's "Hoochie Coochie Hot Wings". Gotta love that. :)

Freezer Fair. Beef/Mushrooms/Barley/Gravy over Mashed Potatoes with succotash.

homemade luganega, rock? i can't wait to get my meat grinder with attachments so i can start making my own sausages. what kind of casing did you use?

lol, alix. "let them eat cake" while you have sushi. :D

No casings with this batch. I just made 2 ounce balls and froze them on a cookie sheet, then bagged them up. I take a few out as I need them. Pork was on special and I couldn't get the casings, but I went ahead anyway...

not to belabor the point, but a single ac running in another room with a floor fan directing the air into the kitchen would work. that's what i've done in previous apartments in the heat baked city with zero air flow. your bricks seem to be a heat island, much like nyc. again, insulation.

try the fan thing, though. you can cook all day. :chef:

Got that covered. It is a shotgun-style house though, so have to get the cooled air through a large dining room into the kitchen. For the few weeks that it is an issue, just cooking early and eating cold meals works. I wish I knew how to draw a floor plan on the computer. No, only a true masochist would cook all day in my kitchen this week (all fans running, 92 degrees in the kitchen). It isn't a huge sacrifice to have a cold meal until the temps drop (which they are right now). And why should I? Right now the temps are dropping. Husband and doggie have escaped upstairs (dead asleep), and I'm opening windows. It was a p/a this year, and if it's true that global warming is going to keep it this way, I'll fix the problem. We've lived here for 11 years (a world record for us!).

There is absolutely no reason for me to cook all day, period. So I get up in the morning (I'm an insomniac), cook something that we can eat cold or nuke, and, many times, go back to sleep.

Yes, if it becomes an issue, I will deal with it. But not about to spend $XX.000 (the minimum, yes, I've looked) when there are so many things this old house needs. Especially since it is a seasonal problem that doesn't even happen every year.

Right now I've contracted to have my walls in the kitchen re-surfaced. That is going to be a problem. Husband chose the counter colors ten years ago, and is wanting to choose the wall colors. I'm rolling my eyes. All I want is for the friggin' plaid wallpaper to go away and to have tile backsplashes that I can wash.

made some pork burgers with chilli,ginger,garlic,fish sauce & chopped peanuts.ate them while i watched the water level rising in the communal gardens,not heard from rob in the ground floor apartment for a while:ermm:!

Attachments

• ASIAN PORK BURGERS 004.JPG
    ASIAN PORK BURGERS 004.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 157
thanks lp and dave. i'll look for them.

it'll give me reason to re-up the costco membership. we dropped it for a bj's membership a year or so ago, but it seems costco has things that bj's doesn't. besides, i need s new pair of $12 sneakers. :)

Back
Top Bottom