It's Saturday July 7. Let's Eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Carbonara is my fave pasta. We're eating early so I can get going to play a gig at a wedding tonight. Rigatoni al Carbonara with home made Lugunega sausage...

Attachments

• DSC00597.jpg
    DSC00597.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 208
Met with my sister today about more Estate stuff so we went for lunch at a nearby family restaurant and DH joined us there.

I had a chicken, bacon, Swiss cheese avocado burger on a "pretzel bun" with onion rings.

So I am thinking a very light later dinner - maybe salad of some kind.

I have a pan of cheese, onion and green chile enchiladas and a pan of chicken enchiladas all set to put in the oven. Refried beans all set to heat up. I should stir together some guacamole in a little while. Having visiting Bil's from out of town, Jr's and DxW. She's bringing dessert. It's lovely day and it will be a nice relaxed evening.

We had a late lunch at Red Hot n Blue. I had the Hoochie-Coochie hot wings and the fried catfish sandwich, SO had the pulled chicken nachos and the southern fried chicken strips. We brought a lot home.

Picking at leftover rotisserie chicken and marinated artichoke hearts.

homemade luganega, rock? i can't wait to get my meat grinder with attachments so i can start making my own sausages. what kind of casing did you use?

lol, alix. "let them eat cake" while you have sushi. :D

lp, the pretzel bun sounds interesting. never saw one before.

i kept the little guy out of the house all day so dw could rest (bad sinus infection), but i had to get into work early for 4-12 coverage so i pulled a deal with a coworker that she'd cover me until 7, and then she can take off early to start her vacation after i get in. shhh, no one is supposed to know. :cool:

before i left for work, i grilled some garlic and cheese chicken sausages and chicken breasts for dw and the boy for dinner.

my dinner will be takeout chinese tonight; probably bbq rib tips with veggie fried rice, and a veggie soup.

I spent the afternoon making 4 pans of lasagna for the freezer. I had some ground beef left over so added my Mexican spices, corn and black beans. Pulled flour tortillas from the freezer and had burritos.

Meatballs and pasta. I also made pork meatballs (tiny ones) to use in fried rice for a week night dinner. Got some of the prep work done for a Panang curry paste. I'll make a Panang chicken curry, with roasted cashews, potatoes and avacado for dinner tomorrow.:yum:

Yet another day when we went over 100 degrees F. I boiled macaroni in the early morning hours, then refrigerated to make a macaroni salad later. Husband wanted shrimp, so thawed some to go with. By dinner time my kitchen registered 92 F (outside it was 105). I was SOOOO very glad to have cold dinner already in the fridge.

Last edited:
claire, i don't get it. why punish yourselves? why no air conditioning? there's ones designed to work in really old houses ( window units, through the wall units, minimal space ducting central air units, etc.)

Yes, and it is very, very expensive to retrofit. AND normally we don't need it but for a few weeks a year. 2 or 3 years ago, we never even put in the window a/c units. I didn't mean to imply we have no a/c, just window units, and in 11 years the two we have had been fine. The one window that an a/c unit would fit into (that is in our kitchen) would render our porch completely unusable. I'm thinking of one alternative that I don't think husband will approve, but if I get it started he never complains about money I spend.

When you're dealing with old houses (1864), every time you do something another problem crops up. The thing is that this isn't something that happens regularly. We've been here 11 years, and the last time our part of the country had this problem, it was the year my husband was born (1947), so putting thousands into a problem that may just be this year's fluke would be foolish. I am thinking of calling in an electrician and having an area of the house wired so I can put a window a/c unit in the back bathroom (like most old houses, there is a bathroom off the kitchen). I'd like to have an outlet there anyway, and I can cool the kitchen from that window.

Just trials and tribulations of old home ownership. After today the cooking issue should go away. Right now cooking early and eating cold at night works for us. But if this becomes a trend, will be considering options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom